General Lansing Development

Comments

• Cheesy is the right term for this. I'll give them credit for the effort though.
  • I mean, the truth is that LCC has been a hodge-podge of styles from day one, so that aspect doesn't bother me. In fact, I guess my only complain is that there seems to be zero detail on the tower portion of the thing. No insets or interesting use of brick color to create a pattern, etc. I'll say this, though: this is one of those rare times that I think this will look better than the rendering, and that's because it's poorly rendered into an existing real-life photo.
  • I think it is OK not really spectacular,is this a computer generated depiction, it kind of looks like video game art. If the clock face area and other light details are sandstone and there are textured red bricks as is kind of indicated it will have a a nod to Lansing architectural details if not L.C.C. itself. I never like the "tower" that is there now. it looks like a guard tower, and it has those awful rope textured cement panels that were all the rage in the 70's, and what is that old tower anyway? I think it is a vent pipe. I think they have done such a great job of turning the area into a real campus it really is nice down there these days.
  • Institution of ambient learning
    LCC’s campus improvements part of larger academic initiative

CityPulse: http://lansingcitypulse.com/article-13679-institution-of-ambient-learning.html
  • edited September 2016
    Hallelujah and oh happy day! Quite possibly the worst section of road in the whole city - the one block of Shiawassee between Larch and Cedar - started reconstruction, today. I used it quite often and I was shocked. Looks like the city map for road projects has been updated since I last viewed it a few weeks ago. What I wish, however, is that there was a comprehensive list for every fiscal year so we don't have to guess, unless they don't have a comprehensive plan.

Looks like they are also resurfacing a rough section of Genesee downtown (more specifically the Genesee neighborhood) between Pine and Butler. Another area with quite a few projects is Potter-Walsh east of Pennsylvania and south of 496. The southside is seeing the longest section of street reconstruction. Some notable southside resurfacings includes Lowcroft between Holmes and Cavanaugh, Aurelius generally between Jolly and Cavanaugh, Devonshire between Jolly and Cavanaugh, Jolly between Waverly and Wise, and Greenlawn between Cedar and Washington among others. Another interesting public service department project is a major sidewalk reconstruction taking place in the neighborhood north of Averill Park on the southwest side along four streets in the northern half of the neighborhood (Glasgow, Inverary, Christine and Brisbane along with some side streets).
  • edited September 2016
    Looks like they are finally starting redevelopment of the old gas station at the corner of Saginaw and Homer at US-172 near Frandor.

BTW, anyone know when they installed the solar powered charging station in Wentworth Park? Must have been fairly recently. I've noticed that it's become quite a huge gathering spot for Pokemon Go during the evening hours.
  • Are we talking about the old water tower (I think) that is part of the Gannon Building? Yes, I have no idea why that was ever part of the building either... not sure how old that building is, but I didn't think it was that old.
  • The tower was built at the same time as the Gannon building. I was a student at LCC when the building opened in the mid 70's. I am not sure of it's function, but I am sure it is ugly it was then and still is.

I drove along Greenlawn and it was so nice, that is the street that goes to the hospital and it was a mess. Now it is so nice, I imagine Lansing with every street like that. Over on Clemens the new street makes that little neighborhood look so much better than before. Of course over on W. Mt. Hope between MLK and Pattengill they have already dug up the new pavement in about five places for utilities I assume, so now there are bumps in the pavement that has not even been down for a year. I think who ever digs up new pavement should be required to repave the surface of the street with the same materials, and without any change in the level of the street. On Mt hope they have patched the holes with different paving material and it is already sinking and I am sure it will fall apart in the winter. Why wasn't this work done at the same time as the repaving? It does not look like it was done for any emergency reason. It just bums me out to see this kind of poor planning, and stupidity. I am sure that even those few blocks cost thousands of dollars to put down and they they come along and dig it up with in months.
  • A casual, French-theme restaurant is opening downtown this fall called EnVie. At the site of the former Brannigan Brothers, the really good news is that it'll stay open into the evening.
  • The zip line across the river just north of downtown is still moving forward and is close to construction.