MSU Development

Comments

• Thank you for the update. I hope they can find a way to help the new development areas mesh into the older campus. The new areas feel and look a bit like an office park, more trees and landscaping, with large direct pedestrian and bike paths to the new campus buildings could make it feel more pleasant and like they relate the older areas.

• The complete 2017 MSU Master Plan Update is now available: 2017 MSU Master Plan Update - pdf.

There's a lot of vague info on possible future buildings, additions and renovations; but what I find most interesting are some of the major potential demolitions over the next 20 years:
    Bessey Hall office wing (the newer 5 floor section)
    Giltner Hall
    Fee and Conrad Halls
    Parking Ramp #2
    Everything but the police building in the block bounded by Red Cedar, Wilson, Trowbridge and Chestnut.
    ...And a handful of other building's that you'd expect to see demolished.

The most useful information is the maps on page 16-17 and the associated table on page 18. There's possible outlines of new projects and square footages given, but nothing to really indicate what's a near-term or what's a long-term plan.

• Tearing down Ramp 2 and the Bessey extension would make a prime location for a new (larger) parking ramp, absorbing the lot behind the building there.

• Looking further in the doc though, it seems like that's not part of the motorized vehicle planning.

• They mention the demolition of ramp 2 as a near term goal, it also says that they plan on restoring the Red Cedar's floodplain at the site while on the future use map it shows a "special feature" there, described as a "possible amphitheater/stage". It does show a new 750 space ramp along Auditorium Rd south of Giltner Hall.

• Yeah, I saw that. Giltner is one of those buildings that it would be a shame to lose it's presence on campus, but I had classes in there 15 years ago, and it wasn't in super shape then.

• I'm still pretty surprised that they want to demo Giltner Hall, even if it is currently in poor condition. Given the setting of north campus I'd imagine they'd want to save all the older buildings that they can. It's the only building on that list that I'd really hate to see go.

• My understanding is that if Lot 2 is torn down nothing can be built there because of it's location in the floodplain. The floodplain location is another reason that the servers in the Computer Center are moving to the new data center.

• Wait, maybe I missed it, but where is the Computer Center moving? Are they planning to tear down the historic building? I guess I'm not surprised it's in a floodplain given it's location, but I always thought it was elevated enough that it'd mostly be spared.

• I think it would be better to redevelop the older north campus buildings like Giltner Hall. While I have no fond memories of some of those older over heated stuffy class rooms where I would struggle to stay awake, I would like to see the older campus keep the Academic Gothic look.