MSU Development

Comments

• Or maybe it's just a Michigan left.

• Yeah looks like a Michigan left to me.

• edited October 2017

I'm not sure if it's new stop or not, but that definitely shows a bus pull-in on the west side of the road.

This also got me thinking that they probably need to take that rail crossing below grade like they've done for the rest of campus. That intersection is going to be awfully close to the crossing. And, well, you all I'm sure have experienced like I have how chaotic that can be at Harrison and Trowbridge when long trains come through.

Hopefully, that's in their long-term plans. MSU is basically the size of many Michigan cities with a higher population density than most of them. All crossing through campus should be grade seperated as a rule.

• Back when they lowered the Farm Lane crossings they said that they couldn't do the same on Hagadorn because it would negatively effect Hannah Plaza too much. I do agree though that lowering the grade here would be in (almost) everyone's best interests. It may also increase the property value of Hannah Plaza since people wouldn't mind driving there as much when they don't have to worry about the train crossing.

The light being introduced here will be timed to stop traffic when trains are coming, though I agree it may increase the pressure of people to try to run the light so they don't get stuck even longer.

• I imagine the lights are Harrison are timed in the same way.

Still, it's not just folks in automobiles negatively effected by this. I remember being down in the area a over decade ago before they put Farm Lane under, and the trains would often come by in the morning, and sometimes they'd stop on the tracks for dozens and dozens of minutes. Kids on bikes and on foot would try and crawl through the stopped trains - not knowing when it start back up - buses bringing people from the commuter lots would be stalled. I saw people beat the trains both on foot and by car. It was a sh%t-show. That no one died (that I know of) during rush-hour is amazing to me.

It's why all of these crossings need to be seperated. There is not as much pedestrian traffic at the Hagadorn crossing, but that area has grown fairly quickly and the auto traffic can be pretty rough, here. In a perfect world, CN would have either elevated or trenched their track through here years ago expecting the growth of south campus. But you know at the time how incredibly rural that area was, so nobody was going to spend the money for that.

• Oh I definitely crawled through a few stopped trains in my day on Farm Ln. Young and stupid.

• I skipped class a few times too when you'd get two trains stopping on the tracks at the same time. There was no telling when it would free up.

• edited November 2017

I've been by the Interdisciplinary Science and Technology in front of the Clincal Center on Service Road a few times in recent weeks. The last time I was structure by just how tall the floors are going to be in this building. It's only six floors (or seven depending on whether the mechanical floor is a single floor or two floors), but it's going to be six very tall floors.

• It will look good, but I'm still having a hard time figuring out how the university is going to functionally connect that part of campus to the main portion. It's so isolated and has still has such a specific mission (clinical and biomed-based research), that I don't see much integration with the rest of campus.

• On another note, I can't believe that the university hasn't done something more to spiff up the intersection at k-zoo and harrison road. After dumping 100's of millions of dollars into the Breslin Center and 1855, the rusty old electrical posts for street light wires are still in operation. I'm surprised they didn't go to underground wires and green painted, cantilevered street light posts like the rest of main campus.