General East Lansing Development

Comments

• I read somewhere in all the discussions, something about the area near Hagadorn/Mt. Hope being developed into something called "The Hamptons", have you any further information on that project?
  • Yeah, thats a mixed use development, with I think about 10,000 sq ft of ground floor retail. The site is cleared the structure should start to appear over the next couple months. There are a couple signs up at the site with renderings. I am not sure on the number of residential units above the retail.
  • edited June 2007
    Speaking of roundabouts, there are at least two at the Lee Rd/US23 interchange by Brighton. With two next to each other it is confusing to navigate especially at night.

I'm sad to see the houses on Louis St. go, I went to Central School a block over. My ol' neighborhood.

This is the biggest boom East Lansing has seen in many years.
  • Yeah, what's up with adding roundabouts on Lake Lansing Road? They took them off of campus, the one in Okemos people still don't know how to "handle", and with pedestrians it seems like "Bad Idea Jeans".

Is East Lansing planning on a huge population boom in the near future or trying to recreate downtown East Lansing in general? With lots of the apartments north of Lake Lansing on Chandler having a huge turnover, and homes sitting on the market for literally over a year, who do they see moving to the area?
  • edited June 2007
    They are simply trying to reinvigorate a downtown that had been stagnant for decades, and to a lesser extent, combat the sprawl going on on the Northern Tier. It's about trying to recenter the population and economy. I don't think they are expecting a huge population boom (and even by their own city estimates this hasn't happened).

I always get a laugh out of these roundabout issues. Every time one is proposed or installed people talk about how confusing they are, and I always wonder, are we really that different than everyone else? lol The place that put the world on wheels and we complain like no other when a traffic change occurs.
  • It's funny. To me roundabouts are fine. The only problem I have with them is other drivers. ;-)
  • I go by the Hamptons site a couple times a week, and they look to have finished basic site prep work. I looked closer at the rendering on-site, and it appears they will be building it in the same style as Gaslight Village, with the entrance in the middle of the building, leading to parking in the back. Also, just from looking at where they have moved much of the dirt/sand, it looks like the building may be in an L-shaped design, facing both roads, and pretty close to the roads at that.
  • A college town builds a year-round downtown
    From the City Pulse

It's a pretty good read, and another thing that makes it nice is you can find input from myself at the bottom.
  • On July 11, the Planning Commission is set to hear a design proposal from Meijer for a gas station and convenience store at the corner of Lake Lansing and Merrit Roads. The convenience store would have a "green" roof, and will be about 3,500 sq ft.
  • Has anyone heard anything else on the proposed new hotel to be built off Trowbridge and 496/127? I drove past there again today and there are no signs or anything.