General East Lansing Development

Comments

• A gas station would be nice to have back at the corner, especially since the one that is there looks so bad boarded up. A while back there was a proposal to build more student housing on Trowbridge, but that was thrown out by the permanent residents in the area. The location is really ideal for students, and a much better location than the northern tier of East Lansing.
  • I suppose that's true about freeway exist gas stations. But I still have never understood Marathons consistent overpricing. The one over by me in Delta township is 1/4 mile from a Shell, and a Speedway, and is consistently 5 to 10 cents more per gallon. And yet people still shop there... doesn't make sense.
  • Yes, Marathon has always been very high in comparison to the rest.
  • Melting Moments on Grand River has been undergoing remodeling lately on the interior, but today when I was walking by they have replaced the whole front of the building with 4'x8' pieces of wood. I'm not sure why the building is boarded up, but my only assumption is that they are doing something major to the entranceway of the building (the facade is not covered by the wood).

I took a picture with my cellphone (terrible quality), but I will try to upload the picture tonight.
  • Here is the picture that my cellphone took:
    asdf
    431946488_dd4ad310db_o.jpg
  • an update: Melting Moments will share their location with Backyard Bar-B-Q from Okemos. It should open in April.
  • edited April 2007
    I got some photos of the bridge reconstruction on Hagadorn Road over the Red Cedar River. These photos are taken from the pedestrian bridge, which is untouched by the construction.

468482980_af16235412.jpg

468482962_0d648d76d8.jpg

468482960_45f252ac48.jpg

My page on Flickr
  • edited April 2007
    The Dollar nightclub/bar has some potential bids now. Last year it was repossessed due to back taxes and is in the ownership now of Ingham County. There are two potential projects that are being talked about. One is by Paul Vlahakis, who wants to create a martini bar, and another is by an unnamed entity that would like to create student housing and condominiums.

The Dollar is located across the street from the Campus Village 2 development, on Michigan Ave, about two blocks east of Frandor.

The LSJ is covering the story: http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070426/NEWS01/704260367/1001/news
  • The gas station and Pizza Hut on the corner of Abbott and Saginaw are currently being torn down to make way for a Rite-Aid. This project is moving pretty quick, as Pizza Hut moved out only a couple months ago. The Rite-Aid will have a drive up window. Pizza Hut relocated to the Brookfield Shopping Center at the corner of Hagadorn and Grand River.
  • edited June 2007
    I've been slow to announce this, kind of waiting to see if anybody else would pick it up before me, but the City of East Lansing is looking in to installing four roundabouts on Lake Lansing Road by US-127.

The roundabouts would be installed at:
    Coolidge and Lake Lansing
    Both Lake Lansing & US-127 exits, and at
    Lake Lansing and Preyde Blvd.

They claim that roundabouts don't work well unless there are more roundabouts nearby. This is on the agenda for tonights city council meeting and they are planning to spend 30 grand on more data. They don't expect the project to be finished until late 2009 or 2010.