General Lansing Development

Comments

• Hood,

I wrote MDOT, yesterday, and got back an email with a brochure stating the bridge project will start March of next year and stretch into December. Apparently there was already a public hearing on this at LCC, though, I'm not sure I remember hearing about it.

Anyway, the brochure says that street will be reduced to four lanes (from five) between Washington and Cedar, the sidewalks will be expanded from 5 to 8 feet on both sides of the street, the River Trail will be widened from 7 to 10 feet, and the biggie, they'll both improve the headroom above the trail and raise the trail out of the water so it won't be swamped by seasonal flooding which shuts down this part of the trail for a lot of time during the spring, summer and fall.

It's crazy, because these address just about all my concerns, and more. I'm still trying to get a rendering of this so I can visual the configuration of all of this. I also want to see if they are going to make the bridge as nice as they did the Shiawassee and Grand River Avenue bridges after their reconstruction. I'd really like to see some decorative lighting and such on this bridge.
  • I emailed them and got the same brochure. I agree that they seem to be covering all of my original concerns with this bridge, if the things they're talking about are done properly which I assume they will be. Like you, the only thing I'm left wondering is if they are going to make the bridge look nice, I certainly hope that they do.
  • That's also my last concern. I hope they aren't just going to replace what's currently there, structurally, but with few asthetic changes, because it's a really "blah" bridge at the present. Being a major thoroughfare and just north of downtown, it's kind of a major gateway and should look nice. In fact, it's always been my dream that they do something with the Saginaw and Larch and Cedar Street intersections, some nice landscaping, trees, wide sidewalks, lighting, etc...
  • edited June 2011
    Some pictures from East Village in Lansing. It's coming along faster than I thought, I think I saw probably about two dozen housing starts under construction. I've warmed up to the new housing; it's suburban-styled like the other, but I think the community will mature pretty well and look more traditional because of the two different developers.

5874686115_cf8e537a07_z.jpg

5875245240_e87ba30469_z.jpg

5874686013_5b7c5b17c6_z.jpg

BTW, while out biking, yesterday, I went down Pine Street from Grand River in Old Town to downtown. It was amazing. With Oakland Avenue currently closed down, folks were out playing in the streets, black, white, asian...it seemed like a time gone past. The area over that way is largely poor, but it has a sense of community. Also saw the new Neighborhood Empowerment Center near Grand River and Pine. I had no idea how nice they'd made the old building at the School for the Blind, site. It has a nice little playground outside for the Head Start kids, every inviting.

There was a concept drawn up (by whom, I don't remember) years back of turning Saginaw two-way and turning Oakland from the river westward into a non-motorized area, sort of a pedestrian highway, of sorts. I didn't think there was any way that could really work. After seeing it closed down and seeing how the neighborhood as used the temporary close down of the area for repair, I'm far less skeptical if that idea ever came back up. I mean, it was a beautiful thing. I encourage people to go bike the streets of Walnut and Old Forest neighborhoods west of downtown; it's actually one of the most densely peopled sections of the city, believe it or not.
  • A good story on local food trucks from Capital Gains: Feeding the Craving: Lansing's New Food Trucks

I'd always wondered why there were never any food trucks downtown, in here it says that they're banned in the Principle Shopping District.
  • This was posted by "Downtown Lansing" on Facebook today: "Rumor has it that Davenport College and the City of Lansing will be performing a land swap deal that will allow Davenport to build on the block at Shiawassee and Capitol. It would be awesome to see that parking lot go away and also to put the Oliver Towers to use or tear it down. Looking forward to confirmation and details. Sounds like good news for downtown!"

This could be interesting, I can't wait to see more details.

Also, Michigan Flyer is looking at expanding their service out of Lansing: Michigan Flyer looks to add I-96 to Detroit Metro service
  • The city has been trying to get that land (around Davenport) for a few years, now. They backed away from building parking garage, there, for the time being, but I bet you they want the land just in case. Personally, I'd like to see that land put to far better use helping to better connect Cherry Hill with the rest of downtown.
  • In this Monday's City Council agenda there's a letter from the Historical Society of Greater Lansing stating that they are beginning to raise money to build a local history museum. Their first fundraiser will be a silent auction on October 8th, 2011 from 4-7 pm at the Comerica Bank at Washington & Michigan.

I've always wanted to see a local history museum in Lansing, I just hope that they make it worthwhile. I would hope that they put it in Downtown, Old Town or REO Town; and that it goes in a decent sized, decent looking building.
  • Cool! Yeah I agree. Museums like this build upon and add to our local culture.
  • Am I missing something or is the Lansing School District's headquarters really up for sale: 519 W. Kalamazoo - CPIX

I don't remember hearing anything about the school district selling off its headquarters building. I also didn't know the parking lot behind the Cass Building belonged to the school district; at least I think that's the parking lot being included in this sale.