General Lansing Development

Comments

• A new program is beginning in Lansing that will include free bus rides along with discounts and promotions at area businesses, the program is called First Fridays: First Fridays
  • A new bar called The Boardroom is opening at the former location of Skyline Chile/Famous Taco/Downtown Doghouse. Maybe a bar will finally be the business to succeed at that location: New bar to bring 20 jobs to 3,600 square foot Downtown Lansing location

The guy from Okemos who's trying to farm shrimp indoors is in the news again. He now says that he's perfected the technology and is ready to scale up, if he can find funding. I certainly hope he's successful, as it sounds like this could become a pretty big industry. Indoor shrimp farming could grow into big Michigan industry
  • I saw something on the news at 5 concerning the replacement of the Saginaw Avenue bridge over the Grand River, downtown. I was unable to catch the entire story, though. Anyone have any information on when the meeting was/is, or who I'd contact concerning the project? I'd really like to put in a word as a pretty regular user of the River Trail that if there is any possible way to elevate the roadway even a few more inches, it'd help with the clearance of the trail under the bridge. It's been one of the biggest chocking points along the trail since they built it.
  • I'd hope that raising the bridge up a little would be something they'd do without having to be lobbied to do so, but who knows.

The old dollar store in Old Town at Washington & Grand River is slated to undergo what looks to be a pretty good renovation. The projects website is below.
    Walker Building

Also the old gas station on Grand River in Old Town looks like it's nearly done and it's really looking great. I'm surprised at the quality of the renovation, especially given the building's former condition.
  • edited April 2011
    You'd hope, but I've been looking at the bridge, for years, and it will require some creative thinking to even raise it a few inches. Immediately on the other side of the bridge is one of the circulating parking lots for the Riverfront Mall, and a River Trail access where you can park. It looks like even a slight raise would cut off those turn-ins, and may even effect the intersection at Center Street which is a couple dozen yards off the end of the bridge. Either way, it's something I'd definitely like to email them about.

Great to see the old Walker Building being renovated. I actually shopped at the dollar store a few times, and always thought it'd look awesome if it was ever renovated. It's been empty for a couple of years, now, and I remember a few weeks back seeing some lights on inside at night and was wondering what was going on. BTW, just looked at the website. Gene Townsend (or Cherry Hill fame) is doing this one, so it should be really nice when done. He does quality constructions and renovations.
  • edited May 2011
    Finally, a story on Scott Gillespie's project to replace the gas station at the corner of Michigan and Marshall a few blocks east of Resurrection Church and School:
    bilde?Site=A3&Date=20110517&Category=BUSINESS02&ArtNo=105170315&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0

bilde?Site=A3&Date=20110517&Category=BUSINESS02&ArtNo=105170315&Ref=V1&MaxW=300&Border=0

Apartments planned for Citgo gas station site on Lansing's east side

By Melissa Domsic | Lansing State Journal

May 17, 2011

Scott Gillespie wants to turn an abandoned gas station on Lansing's east side into a three-story apartment building with commercial space on the first floor.

Gillespie, of Lansing-based developer Gillespie Co., is seeking final approvals from the city to go ahead with plans to demolish the former Citgo at 1621 E. Michigan Ave. and build a 14,380 square-foot mixed-use building.

Gillespie's plan calls for a building with 13 apartments, including studios, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. Monthly rent will range from $700 to $1,000.

Gillespie has a food service tenant interested in about half of the 2,900 square feet of commercial space on the first floor. He would not release the name until he has a signed lease.

Gillespie is the brother of developer Pat Gillespie, who built the Stadium District and has plans for other projects on the city's east side, where the brothers grew up.

Great news to see this going on, and east of Sparrow Hospital.
  • This is great news, and will help the curb appeal of the East Lansing/Lansing corridor.
  • edited May 2011
    The Moores Park Replacement Project, otherwise known as the new REO Town steam and power plant, will break ground, next week:
    BWL will issue $250M in bonds for new facility

Lansing State Journal

May 20, 2011

The Lansing Board of Water & Light will issue $250 million in bonds Monday to pay for a natural gas-powered electric and steam generation plant in REO Town and other capital improvements.

On Wednesday, the public utility will break ground for the $182 million facility it's building on South Washington Avenue. Once it goes online in 2013, the plant will replace the coal-fired Moores Park Steam Plant.

It also would generate electric power as the BWL looks to phase out portions of the coal-burning Eckert Power Station nearby.

Of the $250 million in bonds, $182 million will fund the plant construction and equipment and $25 million will pay for other system improvements as part of ongoing capital projects.

The rest will go toward interest payments and a required bond reserve account, said Susan Devon, chief financial officer and assistant general manager.

In March, BWL raised rates by 1.5 percent for electric customers and about 5 percent for the average water customer.

It will increase rates for electric and steam customers by 3.75 percent in October 2012, followed by another 3.75 percent hike in October 2013 to pay back debt on the plant and cover its operating and maintenance expenses.

The bonds will be sold in increments of $5,000 on the retail market on Monday. Whatever is not sold Monday will be offered to institutional investors.

MooresPark-1.jpg
  • I'm just glad to hear that they are breaking ground on Wednesday. I wonder if it's just a ceremonial groundbreaking or if they are going to start major construction right away.
  • Old Town was one of 5 winners of the 2011 Great American Main Street award: Old Town wins Great American Main Street Award