General Lansing Development

Comments

• BTW, I saw in the Lansing City Pulse near the back where municipal governments post public notices that the City of Lansing posted a public hearing for April 17 concerning a man that wants to start a kayake/canoe rental business in Cherry Hill park on the river. He also wants the city to build (from what I can gather) a small stage, barbaque grill and dining area, and other amenities to give the park a "beach-type" feel. He's asking for a special-use permit for the business. I think this is great for what has been one of the most underutilized parks in the city. In fact, it's always something I wanted to see for Riverfront Park and other parks on the river.
  • The LSJ is reporting, today, that the Michigan Electrical Supply Company, which currently uses the big green-painted building at 1118 South Washington in REO Town (the tallest building in that commercial strip), has bought a warehouse on East Jolly to use as their warehouses, instead. I'd always wondered when they'd sell and/or redevelop the building. This seems like this may provide an opening to refurbish this building.

Also, I forgot to mention that the City Pulse also had a public hearing posted in it for the consideration of the Ottawa Street Station brownfield.
  • Driving past McGuire Park (by the Jolly/Aurelius intersection) today and I noticed a sign for the River Trail extension from Scott Woods/Hawk Island to McGuire Park. I didn't see much on the sign except that C2AE is the main name that you can see. I've been seeing a lot of activity all winter along Sycamore Creek off Cavanaugh, but this is the first sign that I've seen. Anyone have any more info on it?
  • edited April 2008
    Yes, I believe the first part of the extention will stretch to Hawk Island, and only then will it stretch to McGuire. After that, if Lansing and Delhi ever really talk about it, they hope to stretch it down to Holt and eventually all the way to Mason.

Map_of_Trail.jpg
  • Bob Tresize said that there will be "big announcements about more development downtown in the next few weeks," in this WLNS story.

I'm not holding my breath, but it seems about time for some big announement(s).
  • Anyone read the City Pulse, yet?

The City of Lansing is getting ready to sell the North Capitol Avenue Parking Garage (corner of Shiawassee & Capitol), and LCC seems to be the more likely of the potential buyers. What's great is that the city is attaching to this that whomever buys the garage must reclad it to make it more attractive, and keep the groundfloor retail and office space.

They also make the point that this kills the rumor about this site becoming the downtown performance arts center, which isn't a big deal to me as it was nothing more than talk to begin with.
  • There are two articles of note in the City Pulse this week:

This one is about the new city market: I don’t feel comfortable

This one is about a groups push to turn Knapps into a performing arts center: Performing downtown
  • This is a bit off topic for the recent comments, but I think this is the best thread since nothing's official yet thus not warranting a separate thread.

I'm curious what the regulars here think about the proposed millage for the new library and why? Do you support it, do you think it's better than the proposal from the church organizations to fix up it up and use it for a homeless center, etc.?
  • I support the library millage. I really like the idea of combining Impression 5 with a new main library. I am a big believer that the library system is very important to the area. I'd like to see the facilities in some of the older buildings updated or replaced.
  • I agree with cliffordzang. But I live in Delta Twp, so I can't do anything about it. We on the other hand, are getting a sweet new library.