General Lansing Development

Comments

• A business located at Cherry Hill park by Kalamazoo St. bridge on the Grand River is opening June/July where you rent a boat and get BBQ, area for eating and a SMALL stage for whatever. Sounds interesting, hopefully that isn't too far off the path to attract people. If they got some bands and have some decent music (amplified) I think it could draw some decent crowds on a nice day/early evening.

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1863&Itemid=61

Also, they're going to try out a pedicab service in downtown, but it does seem a little expensive. Not sure what I think yet. It might be interesting to tourists visiting the capital...maybe????

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080516/NEWS03/805160313/1004/NEWS03
  • Both of these leave more questions than answers for me.

For the business in Cherry Hill Park they don't seem to exactly describe where this will be located, and to me that makes all the difference. They seem to be implying that there is some kind of privately owned land on the north end of the park, but I thought the entire thing was public land. Are they simply leasing off a part of the public park to the private entity or is there private lands somewhere that I never realized?

My other concern is that this would probably do much better in a more accesible location. Cherry Hill feels (and is) so tucked away downtown, and with the one-way streets (notably Grand) it's difficult to navigate to.

The Pedicab, to me, seems to be something that would be MUCH more successful a few years down the road when we actually have foot-traffic that could support something like that, but if they are only going to concentrate on the night crowd it may work.
  • I'm very optomistic about the business in Cherry Hill park, despite the lack of details. It sounds like a great concept, I just hope it will be visible enough to do well.

The pedicab, at $3 for 2 blocks is impractical, and will not survive, unless they tweak their pricing.
  • Did anyone notice that the old Union Missionary Baptist Church on MLK and Hillsdale, I think it is, was recently demolished? I remember a few years back them saying what they were going to do with the land, but I've totally forgot, now.
  • I noticed it just the other day, I'm glad to see it gone though.

Also, theres a story in the LSJ on the old Michigan Refridgeration Warehouse on Kalamazoo - Dispute delays demolition of site of '06 fire on Kalamazoo
  • Yeah, I'd written to the city about this a few months back and they told me the same thing, which is that they aren't going to get involved until the owner and insurer clear things up, which means never. lol

I'm actually really disappointed in Schoen more than anyone else, to be honest.
  • Why are you "really disappointed in Schoen more than anyone else?"
  • This came as a total surprise. Looks like the city is actually going to move forward to bring this thing, down, and by this summer, no less. I guess the city council saw the paper a few days ago. lol

City May Demolish Kalamazoo Street Eyesore This Summer

Lansing City Council is moving ahead to demolish a burned-out shell of a Kalamazoo Street building.
    Advertisement

"It's really presented a public safety issue for us," council President Brian Jeffries said. "We're going to move this as aggressively as we can to get this taken care of."

According to Jeffries, City Council is scheduled to vote May 29 on a resolution that would establish a June 9 public hearing to place 701 E. Kalamazoo St. on the city's make safe or demolish list.

• Liquid Web Seeks New HQ

DELTA TWP. - Web hosting company Liquid Web Inc. is in the final stages of choosing a location for a new headquarters and data center facility.

The 90,000-square-foot site will have power and bandwidth capacity to support 25,000 additional servers and several hundred additional employees, the company said.

It did not release more details. Earlier this month, spokesman Travis Stoliker said he couldn't discuss a planned expansion because state grant regulations prohibit it.

Liquid Web, currently headquartered on Creyts Road, opened a 1,100-square-foot data center in 2003 and a 32,000-square-foot facility in 2005.

The Web hosting company also has unveiled a new 32,000-square-foot secure data center. The facility includes a 24 hour call center for technical help and 8,000 servers.

Contact Jeremy W. Steele at 377-1015 or jwsteele@lsj.com.

This is a little confusing as it already sounds like they have a place picked out, so they aren't really seeking, huh? I'm hoping that they move somewhere within the existing urban area, and preferably closer to the core of the metro area, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • I really hope that they move into Lansing somewhere, or that they at least build a significant building. This sounds like a great thing, but I guess I'll hold judgement until more info is released.