The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• I suppose this is a step in the right direction. Apparently, according to the State News, Strathmore Development paid off all taxes on the site. Scott Chappelle could not be reached for comment.

This is a major step forward, considering the City can't even negotiate with developers who are in default. Hopefully they can get back to talking about the project now, and put the debt behind them.

Another interesting note was in the form of a statement from East Lansing Planning & Community Development Director Tim Dempsey. Dempsey mentioned that he believes development, in the form of leveling existing buildings, could start before the end of this year. I also enjoyed the following quote, which hits on some of my pessimism:

“It’s understandable why people might doubt the project ever happening,” Dempsey said. “I think people have been very patient considering the broader (economic) circumstances.”
  • City Center II is looking like it may actually happen now, Hotel Indigo is apparently back on board with the project. They're saying they hope to start work on the project in the the fourth quarter of this year.

Hotel back on for City Center II
  • Its good news to learn that this project continues forward. Personally, I would be happy with just the beginning of the project and seeing the demolition of the current structure. Hopefully this will be a boost to the West side of East Lansing and a spark to really increase the commercial connection between East Lansing and Lansing.
  • edited September 2011
    The State News reported last week that MSU Hospitality Business students will be involved in City Center II planning via a course offered by the University this fall. Apparently Scott Chappelle has already given an intro to the course by providing some background into the project. The class will focus on the aspects of "brand development, sustainability and sustainable development, optimal efficiency design and financial assumptions of market demand."

If I were a Hospitality Business major I would love to be in a class like this, mainly because I would really appreciate an opportunity to shape downtown EL for the better. For those of you that may be familiar with the School of Hospitality Business, associate professor A.J. Singh has been pegged to teach the course.
  • Seasons greasings. City Center II languishes while St. Anne's plows on.
  • I watched the East Lansing City Council meeting last night and question if Loomis and Powers are really that obtuse? I give the other council members credit for trying to facilitate a balanced discussion. Sure the developer had problems, who didn't? GM and Chrysler went bankrupt but Strathmore still managed to be primary sponsors for the East Lansing Arts Festival and the Folk Festival for about ten years running donating some $50,000 according to the City. Freedom Fries above makes a point that the St. Anne's student housing project plows on. Sure it will, student housing is a slam dunk, but do we really need any more in the downtown? Strathmore is trying to build a performing arts theater for MSU which seems like a pretty solid step in the right direction. Hotel Indigo also works fine for me. If these guys can pull this off they deserve all the credit and all the help they can muster from the community. It seems that only the crackpots comment in the State News anymore.
  • There's still discussions about this project at city council? Is there anything new with it?
  • I very glad to see this. It looks like the project may be moving forward for real this time.
  • There will be a meeting tonight to discuss a pre-development agreement on City Center 2. The meeting won't be televised (I'm not sure why) but will be open to the public.
    If approved, the pre-development agreement would allow for a 60-day “due diligence” period. During that time, council members would be able to review the project’s financial structure and physical layout.
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20120326/ELANSING01/303260037/Action-on-East-Lansing-s-City-Center-II-deal-likely-Tuesday