The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• The EL City Council has narrowed the list of potential developers to 2:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130522/NEWS01/305220033/DTN-running-East-Lansing-development

http://statenews.com/article/2013/05/e-l-city-council-to-decide-on-two-developers-to-obtain-city-land

I like both the DTN and the 2nd Lurvey White plans. I really like the idea of including the 2 abandoned buildings on Grand River Ave, so DTN wins in that regard if they can pull it off (in fact, as far as I can tell, their proposal looks a lot like the original City Center II). On the other hand, bringing Lurvey White into the mix would further diversify the developers and investors in the area. Plus, that pedestrian area in their 2nd development is pretty sweet. Their 1st proposal is somewhat less ambitious, but it would be a nice compliment to something else happening with the Grand River Ave frontage.

What do you all think?
  • Where are the renderings? I've seen a small rendering of part of the Lurvey White proposal, but nothing on DTN. I'm more inclined to Lurvey White even without seeing the DTN plan because I know DTN doesn't always build the most quality stuff. It sounds like they've been kind of arrogant, too, which has turned off the city.
  • MichMatters, is it possible to share the low-res rendering of the Lurvey White proposal?

I would prefer that Lurvey White gets the project, because DTN may still end up getting the CADA-owned properties. I would prefer more diversity in developers for this area, as we've seen what has happened when a single developer has tried to pull off big projects in EL (CC 2 and East Village).
  • There are site plans here:

http://www.cityofeastlansing.com/Home/Sites/EconomicDevelopment/CurrentProjects/ParkDistrictPlanningArea/DeveloperProposalsAttachments/

I think most of the images associated with the proposals are conceptual, not official. Still, the proposals illustrate distinct visions for the properties.

I feel like the development of the city-owned properties is less important than the development of the Grand River Ave properties. I think the city really needs to force Strathmore's hand. Nevertheless, both of these proposals serve as a logical westward extension of the EL downtown.
  • Jared- I think your proposed scenario is ideal. Definitely on board with that.
  • Thanks for that, J.

I'd never thought of multiple developers for the sites for some reason. Yeah, DTN could get the corner and Lurvey White everything else. I could tolerate that. BTW, I wish I could see a key on the Lurvey White site plans to orient myself when looking at the renderings.
  • edited August 2013
    I must have missed this gallery from the LSJ:

DTN

bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=A3&Date=20130309&Category=BUSINESS02&ArtNo=303090035&Ref=PH&Profile=1002&Item=1&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=90

Studio Intrigue (plan rejected)

bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=A3&Date=20130309&Category=BUSINESS02&ArtNo=303090035&Ref=PH&Profile=1002&Item=3&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=90

bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=A3&Date=20130309&Category=BUSINESS02&ArtNo=303090035&Ref=PH&Profile=1002&Item=4&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=90

bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=A3&Date=20130309&Category=BUSINESS02&ArtNo=303090035&Ref=PH&Profile=1002&Item=5&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=90

bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=A3&Date=20130309&Category=BUSINESS02&ArtNo=303090035&Ref=PH&Profile=1002&Item=6&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=90

For whatever reason, it seems that they always have the proposals in bits and pieces.
  • DTN has been chosen unanimously as the project developer for the Park District.
    DTN Vice President and former MSU offensive lineman Colin Cronin said the next step is working on a pre-development agreement with the city, which would detail the process of working with different companies, citizen groups and area stakeholders. He said he hopes to have it finished by the end of August.

After that, Cronin said city staff and council will complete a formal development agreement. The time frame of the formal agreement is tentative, but hopefully in the nine month range, he said.
    http://statenews.com/article/2013/08/dtn-management-co-chosen-unanimously-as-park-district-project-developer
  • Nine more months just for the development agreement? Jeeze. How many years has this been going on?
  • The first post on this thread is from 2006, but the second comment makes it seem that we knew about it for a little while before this thread was created. So that puts it the timeline of this site to at least 7 years.