Marketplace

Comments

• Yeah, when I saw the stone, on site, I knew that the renderings were worse than I thought, because I didn't really see anything indicating any stone, anywhere. This may be one of those very rare instances where the actual product may be better than the rendering. Gillespie should have been embarrassed to put out that rendering, and Studio Intrigue really has to do better in this regard.

I haven't been on site close enough to see, but I see nothing that indicates underground parking, at least not a full level of underground parking, and none of the photos here seem to indicate that with the shallowness of the excavation. Perhpas the first floor will be parking, but it would only be partially covered underground and then only viewing the site from the east.
  • I really only assumed underground parking because I cant imagine what else they would do with a half underground first floor in a flood plain. I'm not sure...
  • edited December 2013
    I guess I was just playing semantics. Again, I can imagine the ground floor being parking, but I consider underground parking to actually be fully underground.

Still, like you said, the rendering really isn't clear about this, at all. There seems to be large windows on the ground floor, which would seem weird if this were just a parking lot. At the same time, since there will be no retail, the only other thing it could leave are kind of bi-level ground floor apartments. I guess this is possible since the flood plain doesn't cover the entire site, but I'd have to see exactly how far the 100-year-flood plain comes into the property to really know.

Perhaps, someone should email the Gillespie Group and request a floor plan or something, oh, and if you're able to get their attention, also ask if there is still long-term plans for retail along Cedar at the site. It's crazy how little info there is on a building under construction.
  • I've never received a response back from Gillespie on anything like that, so good luck if you try.
  • It appears that both stairwell towers are either topped out or are very close to being topped out. It really gives an idea of how tall this will be, which is taller than I thought it would look. This is going to block out that awesome view across the river when you're heading west along Shiawassee near the Cedar Street intersection.

This is a good problem to have. :)
  • Some may have already noticed, but FYI, there is an updated Marketplace web site:

Marketplace Lansing

It provides a decent view of the floorplans, etc. I was not able to download the brochure (the link may not have been working).
  • Thanks for the update. Though, like all things GG, the site still leaves much to be desired. And, I'm still interested in seeing a better rendering of this project (I'm not holding my breath), because I'm still confused as to where the main entrance is being that the only rendering they've released doesn't seem to show one. Still having a really hard time orienting this thing in my mind even seeing it being built on site.
  • edited March 2014
    A shot taken today of the site from Accident Fund from GG's facebook page:

1966867_660658943994667_612591125_n.jpg

I wonder how tall the elevator towers measure to the top? Also, we get a clearer view of the first floor/partial basement from the river side. I'm still unsure if this is a residential floor or a parking floor. My gut tells me its a parking floor since this is the closest the building gets to the flood plain.

BTW, does anyone know who Gillespie Group is using for the construction company/general contractor on this project and Midtown?

EDIT: The fairly recently updated Studio Intrigue has two renderings of this thing we haven't seen. One showing the other and and one aerial.

13125081624_377385219e_b.jpg
    Market Place 1 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

13125081824_266324b838_b.jpg
    Market Place 2 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

EDITx2: I JUST remembered why there doesn't seem to be any central entrance of lobby: this is a wing of a single building. lol How did I forget that fast. Hood showed a rendering a few years back in the thread, now, showing the double-wings. The central lobby will be where the current north end of the building is.
  • edited March 2014
    March 18th via Gillepie Group facebook:

999965_666106830116545_194619526_n.jpg

You know, I'd be ecstatic is sometime during the construction of this wing they announce there is so much demand, that they'll start building the north wing, too. :) And, yes, the first floor is parking which will be accessed from the west.