Lansing Area News & Discussion

Comments

• I vaguely remember that little spot the museum had, it's not the kind of expansion I'm hoping for in the future but it was a neat place. I'd love to see them get a sizable old industrial building someday.

I think that smaller performance space at Ovation was just in the lobby on those existing floorplans for Ovation. It's great that organizations like Riverwalk Theater may have access to the Ovation but it's also good that they have their own permanent space. I just wish we had at least one old downtown theater for them, or a similar organization, to claim.

As for the money aspect, I think that can be solved with time. If one were to create a compelling vision I think you'd eventually find support through fundraising and grants, even if it could very well take many years to get off the ground. Specifically, I'd like to see local officials lobby the state on funding/helping fund a state museum of science and technology next to the library/historical center. The path to R E Olds' ideal museum is much cheaper an easier than Impression 5's I think. The boards that run these places need grander vision. They should start endowments for new facilities and specify what they want those new facilities to be, relatively modest donations today could bear fruit after many decades of investment.
  • Yeah, saw that, today. I agree with the one advocate who says that the parking minimum on them is probably not necessary given who these are targeted for. If they get any complaints, they can always amend it, is my working idea. They also got something wrong early in the article. The "Planning Commission" is supposed to read the D&P Committee.
  • Yeah, I'd agree that a dedicated parking space should probably not be a requirement. Even in rental situations there's cases where people will not need a car.

That's not even considering the looming rollout of robotaxis, which will make personal vehicle ownership very much optional for many people, even in the most car-oriented places. Whether in two or ten years, they're coming, and I think they're close enough that they should be on the radar of government planners.
  • I lived in a small town where driving around was not easy, many folks who visited hotels, guesthouses and rented had no cars. One way that people got around was pedicabs. They were human powered but newer models have electric motors too. The pedicabs took people home from downtown, transported tourist to restaurants at the far ends of town, and took a lot of them home after a night of partying. I could see pedicabs working in the central part of Lansing, Old Town, to REO-town down Michigan Ave maybe to EL, and the Capital Loop. They can be seasonalized, in Boston they run them year-round, of course after the snow has been plowed. Make the fares cheaper than Uber and there could be a nice easy way to get from the rental with no parking to downtown. Our wide streets could accommodate the cabs nicely! Just a thought!
  • I'd welcome something like a pedicab, I thought I've seen at least one running around in the past but not recently. Any out of the ordinary thing like that is good to have in town. The pedal powered party bus things seem to do ok here, at least the one or two that are around.
  • I wanted the share with anyone who has an LSJ subscription that they have quietly raised their price to $20 per month and are now raising it again to $25 per month. Absolutely ridiculous price, I just called to cancel my subscription. Just fyi in case anyone here didn't realize how much more expensive it's gotten.
  • They pull that crap. I caught them jumping my price from like $7.99 to $12/month, so I canceled. Then I got an offer to renew for the whole year for like $29 total, so I did that. But you just reminded me to look and it looks like they got me for $48.96 for the 2024 year, so I better think about that before it renews next spring. Still just $4.08 a month but I hate the quiet sneaky increases.
  • Yeah, I may renew someday but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Why not just offer a reasonable rate without having to call every year and complain? And to go all the way to $25 per month for just digital access? I'd happily pay $5 per month or so if I knew they weren't going to silently quintuple that price in a year.
  • Thanks I did not pay attention to the subscription price, and I think this maybe too much for what I get from the LSJ.