Lansing Area News & Discussion

Comments

• The Lansing Art Gallery is going through some financial troubles:
    https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/lansing-art-gallery-suspends-operations-over-financial-problems,109479

I guess I can only blame myself as I've never been to the Lansing Art Gallery, but it is disappointing to see an organization like this struggle. It's a good sign for the city's culture or entertainment scenes. Does anyone remember why they moved from their glass front location at 113 S Washington? That seemed like a good spot for them, the Knapp's does not, as much as I love the building. Hopefully they can hang on, restructure, and maybe end up in a standalone building more appropriate for an art gallery someday. Here's that lack of a major philanthropist showing its teeth again.
  • edited September 10
    Ostensibly, they said it was because the Lieberman Building on Washington wasn't accessible enough. And that was true enough. The central staircase was awkward for the upstairs/mezzanine. In fact, they got a MEDC grant to help with the move. But even at the time they announced that the Knapp's Centre move was meant to be temporary.

I usually go by once or twice a year to get Mother's Day and Christmas gifts. Knapp's Center was definitely more accessible. I do not think it was the move that contributed to this.
  • That's too bad. My family and I used to spend a decent amount there, and found some great original stuff. However, most of what I remember is when they were at the Liberman Building. I only went a couple of times when they were I'm the basement of the Y, and never since they've moved to Knapps, though I'd mean to. I personally felt like they didn't have anything as appealing to me after their move from the Liberman Building. The venue was also a little dismal in the basement. All in all, it's too bad to hear though. I hope they can get it sorted and get a venue that's better for them. I wonder if something in Old Town would be better suited for them?
  • You make a good point, they probably would be better suited for Old Town. It'd be nice to have something of an art scene downtown as well but perhaps that's just not in the cards right now.
  • Yeah, I agree. It's nice variety downtown, but it might not be suited for that market, which is disappointing. I also would guess Old Town is too "high rent" for them. The crowd might make it worth it though.
  • I could see a Lansing- Art -History and Culture Center. This could include history galleries, retail, gallery spaces, classrooms practice studios and the like. There only a small space in the downtown Library basement to display historical items from our history. I could see this center downtown perhaps on one of the surface parking lots on S Grand or N Washington near LCC. Just dreaming of course. Combine say historical event programs art gallery openings and shows with cultural events and celebrations there could be a lot of people going to a center like that.
  • edited September 12
    So, we did have (gallery and cultural center) that as recently as 2004 when Boarshead closed. It was the Lansing Center for the Arts & Boardshead Theater complex where they are building the new housing. They've been trying for something like this at least since the 80's. Aspirationally, this all would have been included with the Ovation Center we're building.
  • I forgot that Boarshead was more than just a theater, I never was in there. This city needs more of that kind of stuff.

I wouldn't have wanted to see an art museum/center lumped in with Ovation but I do hope that someone with the city or the local economic development organizations has some sort of plan to fill the arts museum void. I guess I'd personally consider finding new larger homes for Impression 5 and R E Olds museums a priority for cultural investments but I'd be happy to movement on anything.
  • I forget about Boarshead all the time.

It is a shame we don't have a better and more prominent "museum, culture and arts" type district. With how much people seem to love Impression 5, it's always amazed me that there isn't a more significant home for them. Only so much you can do with limited funds though. REOlds also deserves a larger and more prominent home with its historical significance to the city.

As someone whose discovered Riverwalk Theater I'm recent years, I'd love to see them, and more theater groups, have better and expanded spaces in a downtown setting.

Some of our best things are so tucked away in former warehouse style buildings, in floodplains.
  • From 1999-2002, the RE Olds Transportation Museum had a sister museum on Michigan Avenue where the Tin Can (and neighboring building) is called the Oldsmobile Heritage Center. Really nice museum. As with everything else cultural in Lansing, it wasn't able to turn a profit and was not subsidized by any kind of organization with enough money to keep it open. The rent on Michigan Avenue was too high for their budget.

The RE Olds Transportation Museum, itself, has been looking to move forever. As has been stated, it's in a floodplain, so it can't expand; I'm sure that's the same issue with Impression 5. And, again...no one has the money for it. As for the theater(s), you'd have hoped they have been included with Ovation in smaller theaters. This is not uncommon. And, in fact, the page for the center talks about "a smaller space for more intimate performances" alongside the mainstage. But I'm not seeing that on the plans they have included.