Lansing Area News & Discussion

Comments

• FYI you can easily get them down to $4.99 per month when you call to cancel, but the price reverts in 12 months.
  • CADL is apparently contemplating a move again:
    https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/cadl-move-from-capital-avenue-location-under-active-consideration,111665

One concerning but potentially coincidental bit of info from the article mentions a potential lease on Wood Rd in Lansing Twp:
    One source said that CADL has received a bid for property on Wood Street in Lansing Township, where CADL does not have a presence.
    I'm just going to assume that would be a new branch and not moving the main library there, obviously the main library should be in Lansing and it should be downtown, near the CATA station. I'd definitely support a campaign against their millage renewal or pulling Lansing out of CADL if they were to move the main branch outside the city. I don't see how they can build an adequate main branch without bonding out money and I don't know how they could do that without a new millage.
  • edited September 27
    Honestly, there is no good logistical reason from them to move from their current building (which is a piece of art) or site. As you correctly pointed out, there is almost not a more perfect site as far as accessibility is concerned.
  • I agree. If they need more space, acquire the necessary land to build an addition on the south side of the building. If they have to close completely for a year or two for a full renovation then so be it. I'm not willing to vote for the likely $50+ million millage that would be required to properly replace it.
  • Yeah, that's a hard no from me if they leave that building. It's such an architecturally significant building by Kenneth Black (I believe) that deserves to be used and enjoyed by the public. I can't tell you how many people I see using it that come by foot, bike or other alternate means...including myself and husband. Moving out of the downtown core would be a major loss that, I also agree, would have me reconsider the funding and future millages.
  • I remember the downtown library was renovated just a couple of years ago, perhaps they did not update the building's infrastructure. This is perhaps the most "Lansing" building still standing and being used for its original purpose. Lansing's Kenneth Black was a famous and talented architect, and his design is unique and beautiful and should be continually renovated, it comes from a time when Lansing would spend some money on public buildings.
  • edited October 10
    It's taken a bit longer than I thought, but was looking through Windsor Twp's planning commission agendas and saw that they they brought up the site plan review for Consumer Energy's new service center. Was kind of wondering what was taking them so long with this one. It's a rural township, so they don't have any kind of agenda packet, but this was brought up last night.
  • Good to hear that it's moving forward, I had been wondering about this. I'm still curious as to the cost/scale of it.

It reminds of BWL's plans to move their operations to the GM sites on the west side that seems to have stalled.
  • Nice to see someone in power is taking note of this:

https://x.com/LSJNews/status/1844468176521699808
  • City Pulse also has another article: https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/cadl-pledges-to-keep-a-strong-downtown-presence-as-pressure-grows-to-stay-put,113221

None of the language used by CADL officials has been promising. What I see quoted in these articles implies that they want to move to a location where they can have a lot of surface parking, CADL is obviously led by a great group of visionaries. I think it's worth noting that Lansing continues to have old branches in a strip mall and a community center basement. Even just building a new branch on Wood near Eastwood is an insult to the city, it would be not only on the edge of CADL's area, but on the edge of the populated part of the metro. Putting the main branch there just can't happen. Pulling Lansing out of CADL has to be on the table and it's better to wield that stick early to prevent whatever CADL is up to from proceeding. Leaving CADL is not a good outcome, just what has to happen if they don't serve the city.

A couple other articles from City Pulse, one on a grant that will support a renewed tree planting effort in the city and another on a proposed hotel tax increase in Ingham County:
    https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/lansing-hopes-new-tree-planting-program-will-bear-fruit,113010

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/proposed-hotel-room-tax-increase-would-bolster-tourism,113008

If the hotel tax increase happens it could afford some funding opportunities for just about anything tourist related. I'm hoping for a Lansing Center expansion, Adado amphitheater and/or new science museum. The existing tax most recently brought in $3.6m in 2023, the increase would add $2.1m so this is a significant amount of money that could be bonded against. The quotes seem to imply that there is a willingness to reconsider how even the existing revenue is used.