Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• I really unsure what to expect out of this project at this point and while I still think it's more likely than not to get built I'm less confident than ever that it will actually happen. I guess we're still just in wait-and-see mode.

• I'll be honest. When I first moved to Lansing I'd get really geeked about all of the projects "on the way." Now I don't really pay attention to any of this stuff until I see construction workers actually doing something. Because some of the projects actually get done... but predicting which ones will make it is next to impossible.

• edited May 2017

Most of the projects that never come to fruition are usually out-of-scale for surrounding areas. White Oak Place is proposing 6-stories on Grand River near Hagadorn, but there isn't anything near that size in the area. Red Cedar Renaissance and City Center 2 both are extremely complex projects that their size alone puts the chances that they will succeed in jeopardy. Center City District is also a very large project, and could be more successful if built in stages like the Stonehouse developments. The East Village project, at Grand River and Bogue, was also out-of-scale and destined for failure, even though they had proposed building in phases, each phase itself required massive changes and involved many property owners and potentially eminent domain.

Some of the projects I've been surprised to see succeed quickly are:
    1. Skyvue: out-of-town developer, very little NIMBY activity, got public money but wasn't asking for a record-breaking amount
    2. HopCat building: large in height for East Lansing, but only a single building and a smaller site

• Knowing some of the folks involved, I'm not skeptical about Red Cedar at all. In fact, while I did bring up Ferguson working on the Fairgrounds in Detroit as one reason, all of the other factors (bigger than that, in fact) were mostly out of his hands including that this is a floodplain which will require the Drain Commissioner's work, first, having to deal with three different municipalities as it relates to the drain work, and then the federal lawsuit. I think people are forgetting about those. This will literally be the most expensive project in the city in decades, and it's still gone faster than say the Park District in East Lansing which only has to deal with one city government.

• I think that most of the projects that have gotten canceled were affected by the recession. With East Village in particular I thought that the developer had already outright purchased or bought options on quite a few of the properties before the recession hit and financing became practically unattainable, forcing them to abandon the project. City Center 2 was a fiasco caused by an inexperienced developer and a counterproductive city government while the recession pretty much sealed its fate. I am a little surprised that none of the pre-recession projects have been resurrected, I would've really liked to have seen Capitol Club Tower and Kalamazoo Gateway built in particular.

I can't think of any projects proposed since the recession that are truly dead. White Oak Place is one year behind schedule so far, and the original start date may have been before the city held them up for a little while, if nothing happens this summer then it may actually be dead. Park District is waiting on the approval of state incentives and Center City District is waiting on city approval. Given the dismal outlook there was five or so years ago, I'd say things are going pretty well now.

• That's true, you're right I had forgotten about the recession which was the largest factor in East Village and City Center 2's failure.
  • I noticed the old frat house at the White Oak project was being cleared out, perhaps in preparation for demolition. So maybe this one beginning.
    I am really looking at the positive news for the Red Cedar project. The drain commissioner has said that project will begin in October and seems very focused on this project. This seems to line up with the statements by Mr. Furgeson, that this will all start in the fall. The federal government seems to be in disarray right now so if they are waiting for funds from the feds that could be another delay. I am just going to visualize it being built and being a beautiful place to visit.

• Can't go into too much detail, but expect to hear some news about the schedule of this project sometime during October. We will likely be seeing some kind of groundbreaking before the end of the year, finally.

What I can say is that it appears that having had so many delays and letting Eastwood get the jump on them, it appears there might not be two hotels, now, and the number of required rooms may have been reduced in the development agreement (though the required minimum height of the hotel component is kept). It is still required, however, that the accomodation part of this project be a full-service hotel and also that there be extended-stay options. I assume this requirement is geared toward visiting scientists and professors at MSU and particularly those that will be coming to the FRIB. Also, the housing components still seem to be in place (i.e. market-rate, senior, and student housing).

I'll be looking forward to seeing all of the details of this.

• That's great to hear. Large projects like this don't happen over night.
  • The drain commissioner has an article in the City Pulse talking about the Montgomery Drain project and the Red Cedar project in a very matter of fact manner. The start date in now "next year" so maybe soon! It is reassuring to hear this is all moving towards reality.