Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• dj - yes, as I recall, seasonal bat habitat was the excuse given for the clear cutting...

• The Bats [and people] could have enjoyed those trees another few years I guess, it does seem like the trees are the first thing developers here get rid of. If they went on to build the project as planned back when they cut those trees it would have been built by now. Many of the trees that were cut back then were non-native trees planted for the golf course layout. Lansing has a lot of trees, maybe that is why they are not valued as much as they should be around here. In this case, the developers are required [I think] to plant two trees for every one they cut, and the developers are looking at the remaining woods as an attraction for the new buildings. The apartments on the south will have a wooded view.
    MSU does take care to protect old trees in new developments.

• I agree gbd. I realize that the developers were primarily removing trees that are now deemed inappropriate for urban developments (probably Norway Maples, Blue Spruce, Ash, Silver Maples), but its too bad that they can't be more gradual about it... I guess one of the reasons I'm especially sensitive to this issue is that East Lansing is currently cutting down many large, healthy trees of the above species because they don't want to deal with expense of the added maintenance that these species require. And the city is not doing a very good job of planting replacement trees, either...

• Don't get me started on trees! I am sorry to hear about East Lansing.
    I think I was traumatized as a kid [for more than one reason!] when they cut down all the American Elms starting in the late 60's. Park Avenue was lined with these huge Elms they were very beautiful. There is a great huge Cottonwood tree in Fenner Park that I like to visit when I see all the utility cuts, that tree makes me feel better.:}

• edited March 2018

The days of the majestic elms were before my time, but I've seen plenty of older photos with beautiful, elm-lined streets. Sadly enough, in many instances the problem species I highlighted above were deliberately planted to replace the elms that died from dutch elm disease...

• edited March 2018

Totally missed this because it was placed in on the city councils part of the website, but here is the presentation for the project last month with tons of new details:

https://lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5200

Most notably we see that the two hotels are now a "dual brand" hotel, so it'll be two hotels in one structure. South and east of the dual-branded hotel are the two market-rate residential buildings. Student housing is still off on the eastern edge of the site closest to the Brody dormitory complex. The building that sits in the median of the grand entrance boulevard is a restaurant. On page 11 you get to see a diagram of the three different parking plinths. The senior housing at Clippert and Michigan is the only part that does not sit above a parking plinth instead being raised above the flood plain with infill.

The hotels still don't look at least 80-feet tall in the renderings, but maybe they are.

RedCedar4

• Thanks so much for linking this page, I am very excited to see this become a reality. Much better depictions!

• edited March 2018

It's mostly all of the renderings that were already released to the public (LSJ, City Pulse), but there is a bit more detail about the project in there particularly the layout of the plinth parking.

RedCedar5

• I am wondering about the water features, will they go dry during dry spells, or are they uncovering flowing water [underground stream]? I could see all this not looking so great during a drought. This may have been noted in the drain commission's plan but I was looking at all the waterfalls streams gardens and fountains and may have missed the part about how this was all going to work.

• Good question... there is a "hidden river park" on the east side of East Lansing that gets its name from a historic stream that was channeled underground during the development of the neighborhood. And I have noticed that there is what seems to be an underwater drain outlet into the Red Cedar just south of K-zoo; I can't see the pipe, but there is usually a visible upwelling ~10 yards or so from the road. Perhaps this is the terminus of the current drainage for Frandor?

Otherwise, I think you're right that there will be a fair bit of "dry" creek bed as the prominent water feature connecting intermittent, rainwater-dependent ponds.