Michigan/Grand River Avenue BRT

Comments

• This issue would not be unique to EL. Its called a San Francisco Left, coined after the same issue in San Fran. I can see how this is a "problem" for drivers but its part of moving away from auto-oriented transportation towards transit. If you drive frequently/daily around the BRT route then its your choice to maybe spend/waste more time in traffic. Taking cars out of the street is essential to developing a pedestrian-oriented atmosphere that is ideal for the urban development desired in Lansing and EL and along the Mich Ave corridor.
    I like the idea of traffic circles to solve this issue. Tell CATA about it.

The real problem is about funding. If not, they would just do it. Regarding MSU, given the increasingly competitive fiscal climate in Washington, maybe they think that getting involved in this project could affect funding chances for University priorities. Also, its possible that one argument CATA wants to present in DC is that MSU will match certain funds. From the letters, the University is reluctant to do that.

CATA and pro-BRT supporters have to establish a more public campaign in support of this project. Also, look for endorsements from pro-transit and pro-urban development people and organizations in MI and nationally. If this projects does not gain visibilty outside of the region, it will lose traction. It would be a shame because this it could be great for the region and MI.
  • edited August 2016
    Funding is a always the biggest hurdle for pro-transit folks on just about any mass transit project anywhere. But the folks who are most opposed to this aren't primarily concerned about the cost, and they've made that fairly clear. They are most opposed to even just the basic idea of sharing the road with anything other than other drivers, and this is the same in a lot of places where this is a "new" idea. The feds could come out tomorrow and say they were paying for this thing in full and the folks on the Okemos end would still be opposed. Let's stop pretending that the core of the opposition is being genuine or principled. When you've got people ranting about "empty buses" - the most tired and common criticism you hear from around the country when any transit expansion is proposed - you know they aren't being genuine. We need to be able to seperate legitimate criticism of particular parts of the plan from the more numerous unprincipled and disingenuous opposition.
  • This video illustrates how the intersection u-turns work. I guess they don't really look to be that confusing or inconvenient, you're allowed to make a U-turn on a green arrow.

left turns and u-turns at a rapidway intersection - Youtube
  • I do not think that it would be difficult for drivers, just maybe time consuming. Is this video what CATA is proposing, or just an example of how the U-turn signal would work?

It is true that a major reason to build a BRT system is to get cars off the road and people on mass transit, reducing pollution, and vehical accidents, and injuries. I do not think the folks out in Okemos understand that. They may be filled with fear and prejudice and will never see anything that would benefit them with this or any plan. I also think they are a minority who have found a reason for being, they maybe like feeling the power of little Okemos telling big dirty Lansing they don't want any mass transit that would make it easier for those people to get out here. I think the truth of the matter the BRT would be of great benefit to Okemos and the whole area. Did Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor have these kind of problems? How did they solve them if they did?
  • I read somwhere that CATA does not even need the input of EL, Okemos and people along the corridor since the road (Mich and Grand River Ave) is owned by the State. Still, CATA needs their funding and support. So, I think that if CATA comes up with the funding tomorrow from any source they could begin the project.

I found a facebook page recently created for CATA BRT supporters: Capital Area Transit Supporters (CATS) is an independent group that works toward better transit for residents and visitors in Greater Lansing, Michigan - https://www.facebook.com/CATSLansing/
  • edited August 2016
    gb, Grand Rapids is rather lucky in that its current BRT line goes almost entirely through Grand Rapids proper. They only had to deal with one or two other cities, I believe (Wyoming and Kentwood). In fact, I'm not sure if it even goes into those two cities. It might go just to the border. Ann Arbor does not have any kind of BRT, and until their recent transit millage expansion, their system was about half the size measured by ridership of CATA.

BTW, anyone interested in a city of similar size and character (collge town) who has done this can look at Eugene, Oregon. It's called the Emerald Express and it connects downtown Eugene with downtown Springfield. Though, their line is only about half the length of the CATA BRT proposal. Less than a year after its completion ridership doubled over the previous line.
  • @gbinlansing That video is just one I found on YouTube. It appears very similar to the configuration that CATA's proposing along most of Michigan west of 127.
  • edited August 2016
    So, the Lansing Chamber has decided to pile on by officially coming out against this. To their credit, CATA has not changed their position (i.e. we'll work with the criticism, but we're not stopping the project). The chamber has become a sinister force in local politics and projects, quite frankly. This is all just so insane. Virg is also not budging, which is good to see. I'd like to see some organized support group for the project, because the forces against it are now organizing, it seems. I wouldn't be surprised to find that this all came about through some backdoor talks with Meridian Township as one of their trustees was part of the TV story on this this evening.

From WLNS. CATA on the so-called funding criticism:
    “CATA has clearly communicated the revenue sources to construct the BRT, which is currently projected at $133 million. Grants are available to fund construction at $133 million. There is no funding gap.”
  • Isn't Powerball $127 million tonight? I don't normally play, but given the circumstances...

:)
  • I have found that chamber of commerce organizations are right wing conservative groups that have no interest in public institutions like transit systems. Maybe the only interest they ever have is to be against them. While it is understandable the some business owners want to join an organization that they think represents their interests, I think maybe when they build the BRT they will find it benefits their members and interest. The fellow who spoke on WLNS was looking all tan and well healed as they say. He does not want any bus in the way of his "Caddie" on the drive to the club, would have been a more truthful statement.