Michigan/Grand River Avenue BRT

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Some of these commerce organizations are against mass transit and bikes because they don't think people using those modes can either afford or carry what they would normally buy if they had a car.

It is a very short sighted way of thinking. When I travel by bus or subway I can spend more time shopping because I don't have to worry about parking tickets or anyone messing with my car. I can also travel farther when walking because I don't have to think about the walk back to my car.
  • Contrary to some belief here, the Lansing Chamber supported the project until the recent Okemos opposition. That's why they cite their membership as why the organization has opposed.

From a July/2016 LSJ article titled Lansing's Bus Rapid Transit plan faces $31M hole:
    "Lansing Regional Chamber President and CEO Tim Daman said in a statement it is unfortunate the BRT grant application wasn't successful. But he remains optimistic the project will become a reality.
    "The Lansing Regional Chamber has identified the Michigan Avenue Corridor as one of our top regional priorities," Daman said. "We will continue to support future development opportunities along the corridor that connect Lansing, East Lansing and Michigan State University.”
  • Thanks for pointing that out gomsu. It's sad that those opposing the BRT are holding enough sway to get the chamber to change their stance.
  • edited August 2016
    Why are you always apologizing for the opposition, gomsu? I mean, if you're ambivalent about the importance of this project, that's certainly a valid opinion to have, but perhaps it's important for us to know that, so that some of us don't think you're being disingenuous, talking out of both sides of your mouth. Because, honestly, that's what it feels like. There is always a "I'm for this project, but..." We have a name for that kind of concern on the internet.

Meridian Township is one of the four communities this project is a part of, and not even the most important. The chamber has more business in Lansing (which supports the project) than any other community along the line. How does Meridian Township get to call the shots for the entire chamber? How does that excuse even begin to make sense?
  • MichMatters: I don't apologize for the opposition but it appears that the Lansing Chamber supported BRT until their membership pressured the organization to oppose it. They stated: "LRCC calls for comprehensive regional transportation plan citing member concerns with Bus Rapid Transit project." Followed by: "We would like to see a more comprehensive regional transportation plan moving forward focused on improved access, connectivity and service." So, it appears to me that they oppose the current BRT proposal but are open to support the project in the future. Still, LRCC is a private, membership driven organization so it does not represent necessarily the best for Lansing but for the interests of its membership.

In the past, I also commented on MSU not supporting the project and the reasons they state for not doing so, which is mainly about funding. I think that the University would support the project if there was a compromise of not requesting any University funds. From MSU, I also perceive a genuine concern on this issue.

Besides those issues from LRCC and MSU, which are based on what I perceive from their statements, I 100% support BRT in Lansing. But, have some reservations with the public support for BRT. Until recently, to my knowledge there was no organized support group for this project, which has made it easy for the opposition to speculate and gain momentum. For this project to come to fruition at the level we want it (not at a reduced scale) it will need fed and state funds meaning that CATA has to show that this project has a very strong support in Lansing. Think about the MSU campaign for FRIB. It was organized and involved educating all sectors to get them excited and gain their support. As Lansing, many communities want federal funding for a BRT.
  • edited August 2016
    CATA has had so many public meetings (many of which let the public actually design this project) and sent out so much educational literature and updates that it's not even funny. There has been so many times to allow local governments to offer critique - and they had - that's it's not even funny. To come out this late in the process - years after the alternative analysis where this thing could have easily been crushed - is, straight-up, the highest order of concern-trolling, and I'm simply going to ignore it from here on out. I've asked for legit criticism, and this is what we've gotten instead. The criticism, particularly from the powers-that-be this late in the process is simply not genuine. The idea that, for instance, from the chamber that "if you just did X, we'd support it" is laughable. No they wouldn't, and everyone knows that. Like, just stop. This is insulting our intelligence.

At this point, after ALL of the reworking CATA has done to this plan to (often majorly) tweek the plans due to valid criticisms, the opposition isn't out looking to change the plan, they are out looking to kill it. Period. If CATA made the changes, they'd keeping asking for others, and that's because they have no intention of seeing this project completed. Plans like this face enough obstacles and delays without having to deal with disingenuous critics heckling them from the background, and that's what these recent criticisms are.
  • While I do not have the level of facts and figures the other folks have noted, I think on this forum it is OK to say what one's feelings about a subject, but then one would have to be ready to be corrected if facts and figures prove your feelings incorrect. My feeling is that the anit- group with a Judge as their leader has received more attention and power than they deserve. Many times these days media while trying to be balanced gives voice to a small group even if they have nothing but the fact that they, however few, are on the other side. I think maybe a vote would find more folks out there would like the BRT in their community. If not then end it at Hagadorn or go up to Eastwood, we get that the anti-s don't want the BRT , I have pointed out my belief as to why, then don't give them one. If they see how successful the BRT is in a couple of years they will want to extend it.
  • I really hope the BRT doesn't end at Hagadorn. Much of the success of the eastside of the #1 route is that it connects Meridian Mall / Meijer to East Lansing. If this stops at Hagadorn it will lose much of that value.
  • edited August 2016
    I don't mind being corrected. Just trying to give input on what I think is most important about BRT right now: public support. When I say education I mean informing people through an organized campaign format, which is why I made a reference to the FRIB campaign.

As I see it, the current pro BRT movement is weak because it is not organized and pro BRT message is ineffective.
    First, 90% of all residents and businesses could be in favor and yet a loud opposing minority gains momentum because the 90% does not have the means to channel their support. I think that the lack of organization in support of the BRT leads to CATA really not knowing the level of support and paying attention to a small opposition because they just don't know how representative is that opposition of the general population. If CATA had knowledge that about the strength of the BRT support maybe they would not even entertain any changes and would feel confident moving forward.
    Second, the message that CATA officials deliver is not very conducive to moving forward and really getting momentum behind BRT. Here they say that the design is 30% done and they can still do changes (http://wkar.org/post/cata-official-bus-plan-s-critics-will-get-answers#stream/0).) You can't say that. The mesaage has to be about progress and the benefits of the preferred CATA design.

Edit: Just to be clear. I am not saying that there is no support or no arguments in favor of BRT. There is a lot of support and plenty of benefits from BRT in Lansing. Just that need to organize more and improve how they deliver the message. This is much more than a faster way to get people where they need to be. It benefits urban development, housing, businesses, health and safety, etc.
  • I think you are right, I have only seen the BRT reported on in local media.No ads or commercials. There really could some public relations done by CATA. Maybe having a naming contest to find some cute catchy name for the system like "LARRY T"[Lansing Area Rapid Transit] [just kidding]. I may be wrong but I think they had a naming contest to come up with CATA or maybe it was the black panther logo. They did involve they local folks with things like that which in turn lead people to feel connected and informed about the new regional bus system back then. Maybe the folks in Okemos would feel less threatened if they heard LARRY T is coming! Then again maybe not.