Michigan/Grand River Avenue BRT

Comments

• California is also still a growing state and up until recently it was growing very quickly. That means a lot of new money coming in and a lot of new infrastructure that doesn't need much maintenance. As that infrastructure ages, the population stagnates, once high-growth industries like tech become as mundane as the auto industry, California will experience the same problems everyone else does. Michigan's population has been virtually stagnant for 40 years, that means the bulk of our infrastructure is at least that old and we don't have the growth in our tax base to pay for all this crumbling mess. Fortunately for California, by the time they run into these problems the communities east of the Mississippi will (hopefully) have figured out the magic formula to keeping infrastructure well maintained at a reasonable cost over the long term.
  • In California they must also deal with and build infrastructure that can withstand earthquakes, there are also several mountain ranges and bone dry desserts all of which are challenges to roadways and infrastructure. Yet the roads are taken care of and generally in better shape than here, although San Francisco has some pretty bad streets. I do not think taxes are the only issue, I think Californians love the open road and depend on the highway systems to get to work perhaps more than in the east. I think it is as much attitude as anything else. We use to be very proud of our streets and highways here in Lansing. I think of course the loss of population and tax base are part of the problem, but I also think taxes and government have been demonized by politicians here in Michigan. They appeal to base instincts, of" this money in mine and I'm keeping it", I should not have to pay for"government schools', roads,water systems, mass transit[the BRT]. These folks have been lead to believe that perhaps the local sheriff is the only government they should have to pay for. I do understand that some politicians are corrupt, some employees do a poor job, some union members abuse their benefits and privileges, but not all by any means. Taxes are bad and wasted is the general thyme. I think that we do have enough money, it just needs to be distributed in a better way. We need to find the pride that many folks feel when they see the Mackinaw Bridge, or Spartan Stadium, we all together built that! Also I think they could put a one dollar toll at the boarder of each highway entering Michigan, and a dollar added to any airline fare landing in Michigan. Pure Michigan cost a dollar!
  • I'll defer to the majority. This is far from my area of expertise. Since we've moved out here the difference in how often and well roads are maintained out here really stands out to me, as compared to what I see when I go home, really stands out every time I go back.
  • That was a terrible sentence I just wrote. :D
  • Lol @ your "terrible" sentence. I would love for our roads (and intercity-transit too! hint: caltrain) to be as good as they are in the Bay Area.
  • edited September 2016
    I mean, I said it a bit earlier, but you guys do realize the legislature did pass a bill that in November of last year that will pump millions and millions of new dollars into new roads over the coming years, right? Like, it was a huge deal. It's not as much as I'd have liked, but the roads are going to be maintained WAY better now with this new deal. Cities are going to get a lot more money for local roads. Even the lower-than-anticipated increase for the next fiscal year for municipalities that all of the local leaders is complaining about is an actual increase. Actually, by 2021 road funding for transportation will rise to $1.23 billion a year.

I mean, we can complain about the past, but lets remember we just passed one of the largest increases in transportation funding in the state's history just last year.
  • I was not complaining about the past so much as pointing out how many people feel about paying taxes for things that might not directly benefit themselves and how they came to their opinions, years of politicians and anti-government voices saying government is a waste of money. It is good that they have passed a bill funding the reconstitution of our roads, but it was not as much as is needed, and is being spread over years. It is valid to examine how did the roads get this bad. Maybe those lessons learned could be used to help people understand and support the public infrastructure, perhaps not feel good about paying taxes, but an understanding of the idea of a commonwealth and how it can work for the benefit of all.
  • CATA is reminding folks that there are three upcoming meetings which will detail modification options for the line. The first meeting is in East Lansing at the Hannah Center on Monday, October 3 beetween 5:30 and 6:30. The second meeting is in Lansing at the Allen Neighborhood Center on Tuesday, October 4 from 6:30 to 7:30. The last meeting is in Okemos at the Okemos Masonic Center on Wednesday, October 5 from 6:00 to 7:000.
  • edited September 2016
    The Lansing State Journal has a rather long story this morning on the BRT line; we've been talking about this for years, so it comes off as rather concern-trollish right from the beginning. Anyway, at the end, they detail the five alternative plans CATA has come up with taking more of the concerns about the line to heart:
    Alternative 1

8.5 miles

$140-$145 million

Same as the current plan until Hagadorn Road, then transitions from dedicated center-running lanes to dedicated side-running lanes until Meridian Mall.

Alternative 2

8.5 miles

$125-$130 million

Same as the current plan until Hagadorn Road, then transitions from dedicated center-running lanes to mixed traffic until Meridian Mall.

Alternative 3

4.8 miles

$105-$110 million

The eastern end is the Delta/Grand River/Michigan triangle, where a transfer station would be built. Regular bus service takes passengers from the triangle to Meridian Mall. Would require additional land purchases for the transfer station.

Alternative 4

5.6 miles

$100-$105 million

The eastern end is near the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum. A transfer station would be built at the current bus cutout just west of the museum. Regular bus service takes passengers from the museum to Meridian Mall. Also includes a loop from Michigan Avenue to Frandor Shopping Center, which would require property acquisition.

Alternative 5

5.6 miles

$100-$105 million

The eastern end is the Division Street parking garage. The bus would loop from Grand River Avenue to Charles Street to Albert Avenue to Division Street and back onto Grand River Avenue. A transfer station would be built at the existing cutout on the north side of the garage. Regular bus service takes passengers from the garage to Meridian Mall.

I'm with Alternative 1 or 2, here, or bust. We've already altered the thing too much, and you alter it further and it stops making as much sense to have if one of the major points is knocking off time from the existing route 1. Put it in traffic once it crosses into Meridian Township and call it a day. In my mind, this has to be better than Grand Rapids BRT-lite, which runs in traffic, or it's really not worth it. The HealthLine in Cleveland is the gold-standard, and I think Lansing deserves it and can have it if it wants. It would be a selling point for such a small city to have a gold-standard BRT line instead of some glorified limited stop local bus service.

Any proposal that makes you transfer from the BRT to the mall for the last leg of the trip is unacceptable.
  • I agree, it seems like it should be alternative 1 or 2 or nothing. If the BRT transfers to regular buses the whole line may as well stay regular buses and we can try for BRT another time.