General Motors Lands

Comments

• Oh I guess I didn't know that before. That's a bit of a downer to me, I wish that GM would do something with the land in the meantime, at least put some dirt, trees, and grass in.
  • This is potently good news if it does happen. I hope that perhaps a diverse group of industries are built there. not 100% auto related. I also hope they could spend at least a minimum of thought to the design of these buildings. The lands are in the middle of our city, it would be nice if they were not just white box industrial pole buildings.

They really should be doing something the vast areas of blacktop, and the administration building area in the former assembly building area. They have landscaped one block near MLK why not more?
  • I saw people setting up what look to be construction office type trailers on the Old Fisher Body site at Michigan and Clare behind Sexton. I hope this means some sort of action taking place here. The new building on St Joe. has really gone up fast and seems to nearing completion. Over by the railroad tracks a new business moved in and renovated the building MalcolmX and Olds Ave. It looks really nice with a new tin roof. Now if they could pave the street it would be great!

• I did notice that new building on St. Joe - was that a RACER property? It's nice to see that area get some attention.

gb - I feel the same way about that area every time I drive into Lansing from the west on 496. I don't think I've ever seen GM use those far lots for car storage, and they seem over storage capacity with all that blacktop near the GR plant. I am kind of surprised that in ~ the 100+ years that the assembly plant has been in operation, they never built a multi-level facility closer to the plant for auto storage and shipping.

• And it would be nice to see someone put up a wall and/or landscape the back of the very bleak looking military vehicle storage lot that buts up to the highway.

• If you all are talking about the old Leaseway site (2400 W Saint Joseph St), that isn't a RACER site. Glad to here it's come together, because there was a big to-do about it a few years back as Lansing Township had over-extended itself and wasn't able to help the developer redevelop the property as much as they wanted to.

• The downside of the new new building on St Joe is that it's for Ferguson, they're moving from their current location on River St near Elm and they'll be leaving a fairly large building empty. I'm glad to see the company doing well and to see W St Joe improving, but I do hope the old Ferguson building gets reoccupied quickly.

The construction trailers at the Fisher Body site would seem to be a good sign. As far as I know there hasn't been any news since it was announced NorthPoint had the RACER properties "under contract".

• I did not know about the Ferguson move, their current site is right next to river trail and also near the building on Hazel that is being redeveloped into housing, maybe this building could be turned into housing too. The site has nice views of Elm Street Park and the Red Cedar River, seems like an even better site for apartments than the building on Hazel.

• edited November 2017

Yeah, if anything it's good they are moving out of the area to a more suitable site, since it doesn't need to be industrial anymore. The oil buildings along Cedar and Spring streets that have been emptied out have been marketed for something other than industrial - a cheer squad, for instance, now uses the old oil warehouse at the northwest corner of Cedar and Hazel.

It's kind of weird, then, that the new form-base zoning code between the river and Cedar has the entire area still zoned as "urban industrial." Industry has been moving out.

• Interesting point about the new zoning regs. It would be nice to see that change.