General East Lansing Development

Comments

• It is also free to park on Sundays in any EL ramp. A lot of people will just sit and wait for a ticket while the gate is open right in front of them. They could promote the Sunday free parking better; most people don't know about it.
  • The two Albert Ave retail spaces in the Newman Lofts building are under construction, the space next to Jolly Pumpkin is going to be a bar and grill designed for "non students" I guess is a nice way to say it won't be a college dive bar. I don't know what is going into the space next to the Foster's Coffee, both spaces are very large. Another business is already moving into the Campus Corners space which they just left a few weeks ago. Campbell's Market is also expanding into the space next door that was a bike shop. There may also be something going on in the space down from the Peanut Barrel that was a book shop.
  • @gbdinlansing Regarding the old bookshop, I think you're talking about 321 E Grand River? I posted a rendering and story about a fairly extensive renovation/addition into a bar/pizzeria with bocce courts. I saw them put the OSB up at the sidewalk and start work but it doesn't seem like much has been done, perhaps they've been focused on utilities and new footings/foundation? They had hoped for an early 2023 opening at the time of the article, it seems like a cool concept so I hope they pull it off.

https://develop.metrolansing.com/discussions/discussion/comment/15445/#Comment_15445
  • I was writing about the former book/Spartan gear shop [next to the bubble tea shop] behind the fountain on Grand River, the space next to the Jackson Building does have something going on but is all boarded up so I can't see what they are doing, seems like a lot of starts and stops there. No sign of an upper expansion yet.
  • Tuesday a crew was putting up what looked to be white board for a mural on the new credit union building on Abbot. Yesterday they took all the white boards down! I wonder why. Today there is a crew doing something and Abbot south bound is closed again. Maybe there installed the boards incorrectly.
  • The white board that I noticed on the MSUFCU building was a templet for a wall sculpture. The sculpture is nice looking, with large green swirls of metal with different finishes. It is not illuminated at least not yet.
    Across the street the Black Cat Cafe is being renovated into a Tex-Mex restaurant. I am not sure we need another but maybe it will be good!
  • I have looked at this wall art and it depicts the letters MSU. OK not super imaginative but better than a blank wall!
  • East Lansing has installed maybe a dozen blue screens on pedestals all around downtown, with three in the small park at Albert and Abbot which seems like a lot for a corner lot sized park. I guess they are some sort of information device/screen. The screens have not been activated and several have already been vandalized. Anyone know just what they are for and why they installed so many of them. I wonder why, when every person basically has an information screen on their phone, that someone thought to spend money on this idea.
    The city has also lit up the downtown blocks of Albert with huge lights, which I thought was over doing it, OK, maybe it will be only on home game nights, but they were on until 3am last night an away game night. It was cold and there were no large crowds, but the lights that light up my apartment were on. I would rather see a couple of cops on each corner on game nights, all the time really.
  • The storefront next to the Jackson Building has renewed activity, it looks like they are prepping for the second-floor expansion. The Campus Corner site has been totally cleared out to the joists; I don't know what is going in there. The two spaces on the ground floor of the Newman Lofts building on Albert are being prepared for at least one tavern/restaurant next to Jolly Pumpkin with a mezzanine floor being installed. The western side space has a lot of interior walls up, I guess it will be a restaurant maybe I should just ask!
  • Signage was put up on the westside store front of the Newman/Parking ramp building. Get ready! it will be another chicken restaurant called Dave's Hot Chicken. I guess there is a lot of money to be made selling chicken these days! There was a LA Cali. address on the sign I will have to check it out maybe it will be different from the others.