General East Lansing Development

1111112113114115117»

Comments

• edited November 2023
    They will hold this property hostage for 2-3 years until the courts allow the development and waste everyone's time and money while doing so. East Lansing could be a lot better if their government didn't keep getting in the way.

There are three parking garages all within two blocks of this lot.
  • The arguments in favor of the surface lot were depressing to read, EL Info made it seem as though those arguments went largely unchallenged in the public comments. I wonder what downtown EL and the rest of the Grand River corridor would look like if EL government wasn't so adept at shooting themselves in the foot?
  • From WKAR:
    Councilmember Noel Garcia Jr. expressed some concern that the decision would expand density downtown...
    Mayor Ron Bacon also voted against the proposal over parking concerns. But he maintained the city and private owners of the downtown parking lot still intend to repurpose the lot going forward.

And absolute clown show and arguments so ridiculous they make your brain break. Expanded density in downtown?! That makes too much sense. lol And, after they'd put out a report saying this:
    City officials previously cited a study that indicates parking ramps are being underutilized, with only 65% of spots being used on peak occupancy days.

The owner of the Peanut Barrel was the lead in whipping up opposition to the development, BTW. The part-owners of the lot were the ones who reached out to the potential developer for this site after the city (the other owner) told them they'd not renew the lease for the lot.
  • The city didn't want to pay a higher rate. Not that they didn't want to renew, they just wanted to cut a better deal. It's crazy
  • I was surprised to see that the Blue Owl coffee shop has closed, it seemed pretty busy maybe they upped the rent. Meanwhile another coffee shop selling Arabic style coffee is opening in the space where the MSU Museum "Art Lab" was located. The new Tex-Mex place has installed some nice-looking stone-faced bricks and new big windows on the exterior, perhaps some adobe is still coming. The lot behind the new credit union building has been totally cleared of construction trailers, maybe that is a sign of something new happening in that space.
  • Folks in East Lansing will have yet another coffee shop to choose from, the renovation of the old Campus Corners store front is going to be a coffee shop, they put up the new signage the other day, which looks nice. The other new coffee shop at the Art Lab site is advertising Yemeni coffee, who knew there was such a thing. I am sure it must be good Arabian style but not the best time to be Yemeni.
  • I am happy to report that Dave's Hot Chicken is pretty good, and quite a hit, filled with customers all the time. It is better than Raising Canes [imo] there are only a few items on the menu other than chicken which they cook to order so you will wait a few for your order, [I am not sure Canes is fried on site and fries look like underdone oven fries, people love them] any way the spice was interesting, and the fries are fried! Down the street, Moka the Yemeni style coffee shop is very nice and bright and popular with the students and locals, I want to try that place soon. The new tavern in the Newman Building next to Jolly Pumpkin is called "Mash" a bourbon and whiskey bar, lots of work going on in there, looks nice and is said to be aimed at an older crowd [older than students I guess] it is a very large space with a mezzanine level.