General East Lansing Development

Comments

• I sent in an inquiry about Lot 1 and heard that there two development entities that are seriously looking in to the site. The Downtown Development Authority is looking in to these and let the council know what they think.
  • Lot1 is the lot at Albert and Grove, right? Isn't that the one the guy wanted to building the 12-story tower on? I hope whatever is put there is relatively tall with some girth to maximize the prime spot because downtown is running out of room to grow out. I'm imagining another University Place/Marriott-type mixed-use development.
  • edited July 2008
    Yes, the lot behind Panchero's and across from Harpers. It's going to be a large development. What I heard is that the planning process will be similar to the East Village, so I took that as meaning a project that will heavily impact the surrounding area.
  • Sawyer's Pontiac, on Michigan Ave across from Dunhams, has moved to DeWitt to the old Annie Rae Chevrolet location. Does anyone know what is planned for the land that Sawyer's used to be at? The easiest assumption would be more student housing, as that corridor has seemed to get pretty dense in the last 5-10 years.
  • Yeah, I'd imagine more housing. The street in that area really isn't built for retail.
  • Probably something much like the apartments right next to there, or maybe something like what was being proposed for the Dollar site. A 3-4 floor building with ground floor retail. I think Michigan Ave will continue to get denser and denser working from Lansing and EL's downtowns towards eachother. I personally hope to see Frandor reworked into a more urban, denser area, and adding some residential.
  • Hood - was just thinking about your Frandor idea... have you ever been to Crocker Park in Cleveland? It's like Eastwood but with apartments on floors above the shops. I'm sure there are tons of developments like that around the country, that's just the only one I know of... was just thinking that could be a great development there. Put a plaza in the center, make the area more walkable, add in a small grocery and a couple anchor restaurants - with everything around Frandor already it's not like amenities wouldn't be available close by, and there you go. I always thought it would be awesome to add a second floor of apartments over the shops at Eastwood as well, but I don't know if they were built to handle that. My guess would be no.
  • Thats exactly what I had in mind. I think its a very realistic possibility too.
  • edited August 2008
    From yesterday's City Council meeting:
    Introduced and referred to the Planning Commission Ordinance No. 1199; an Ordinance
    to rezone 324, 334, 404, 414, 424, and 444 Michigan Avenue; 321 Elm Place; and
    131 and 139 Louis Street from RM-32, City Center Multiple-Family Residential District
    to RM-54, University Oriented Multiple-Family Residential District.
    It seems like there may be a large development planned for all those addresses along Michigan Ave. The last time I remember hearing about a rezoning to RM-54 was when there was a proposal for Hillcrest Village to be replaced with high-rise luxury apartments.
  • Where are these addresses at exactly?