General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Nice! Maybe you could get a picture of the site, soon? I really like what they are doing with the parapet. It's a small design feature, but it makes a world of difference on the overall design.
  • I'm still trying to understand the orientation of the building in the rendering. Any ideas?
  • I am, too. I also thought it looks different than what I remember being proposed. Yeah, I'm a little confused.
  • I think people are confused because this rendering is only for one of the two Ann Street Plaza projects. This is only the four-story building. There's also an eight-story building.
  • edited November 2011
    I realize there are two buildings, but this looks different than the original renderings for the four-story one. I remember the original rendering showing like a pastel-colored stucco building, and it was shown from one of it's narrow ends. I was under the impressiong that they were really just adding a few floors to the existing storefronts, and redoing the facade, or am I thinking of another project, entirely?
  • edited November 2011
    I realize there are two buildings, but this looks different than the original renderings for the four-story one. I remember the original rendering showing like a pastel-colored stucco building, and it was shown from one of it's narrow ends. I was under the impressiong that they were really just adding a few floors to the existing storefronts, and redoing the facade, or am I thinking of another project, entirely?
    I think you're thinking of the same project.

This project will take the place of the Post Bar, and the other two storefronts next to it. So if this rendering is the correct rendering (which maybe it isn't), then the front of the building would be the part with the doors and overhang. That would mean that the outdoor-seating component is on the side closest to the 7-11, however the other project is supposed to be located on the corner (between this project and the street), and I didn't expect the developers would sacrifice square footage for an outdoor seating area between the two buildings. Further confusing is the layout of the streets around this building, but that could be due to the redesign of the plaza.
  • Demolition began. I must admit that I'm somewhat confused about the locations of these two projects, and the State News articles don't help. My understanding right now is that the first project, the one proposed to be four stories, will replace all the structures in Ann Street Plaza (I don't know what is going to happen to El Azteco). Then, the second project, which is expected to be an eight-story building, will replace the two remaining structures on the left corner of Ann Street Plaza (right across the street from 7-Eleven). Am I right?

In general, I just hope that people take advantage of these commercial opportunities to diversify attractions in East Lansing. There are two things that can really change the landscape of downtown East Lansing, in addition to nice buildings and more movement downtown. These two things are quality local restaurants and more coffee shops. There are very quality local dining destinations in Greater Lansing and basically none in East Lansing, which I find ridiculous and a huge untapped market in Greater Lansing. As for coffee shops, there is basically an unlimited demand for them in East Lansing and one would expect it to continue that way as long as their owners make them unique and attractive to locals. I really find no reason why people don't invest more in Greater Lansing. This capital-college town connection is possibly one of the most under-developed regions with huge demand for quality local businesses.
  • I'll try to grab pictures around Thanksgiving but it would be cool if someone could take some pictures before then.
  • edited November 2011
    I took some pictures today. It was pretty gloomy out, but these should give a frame of reference for the size of the project.
    IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
  • edited January 2012
    The article states that footings for the building were poured last week with construction expected to finish in August. It also says that the building next door should get underway in the spring.

Construction on $7.9M St. Anne Lofts project moves forward

There was also an article the other day about a proposed development for downtown Okemos. The $10 million dollar project would total 86,660 sq ft split between two buildings. One will be a five story building with ground floor retail and 24-26 apartments above with underground parking; the other building will be a 4 floor "arts and culture" building.

Travelers Club owner wants downtown Okemos to thrive

To me this looks like a very positive development for Okemos, I'd love to see Okemos' downtown become like a mini Royal Oak.
    More info and rendering (pdf): Meridian Arts and Culture Center