General East Lansing Development

Comments

• After reading multiple articles about the Vlahakis development (sorry, I don't have links available anymore), I got the impression that this is going to be a complete teardown. The new building was described to be multiple floors, but will have El Azteco as a tenant along with a 2nd floor patio as part of their restaurant.
  • edited July 2012
    I had read that the whole time simply to mean that El Azteco wouldn't be forced out of the location that they are at, and would end up for sure as a tenant in the new building.

BTW, I don't have much of a problem with what the city worked out with the Lofts. What were they supposed to do, ask them to deconstruct the fifth floor? I do think the restrictions are kind of silly and micromanaging. Sounds like they are basically trying to keep students out of renting the penthouse to the point of where they are going to bar any kind of outdoor patio. I'm not a conservative by any means, but that seems really nanny-statish overkill.
  • edited October 2012
    A 4-story, 16-unit student apartment building is going up on Michigan near Harrison. I'd literally just passed this site, yesterday, and was wondering what happened to the old printing company. It's in between the BP gas station and Kinkos, I believe.
  • Hey, anyone still around here that could get photos of the stuff ongoing in downtown East Lansing like St. Anne Lofts, The Residences, and the renovation of Ann Street Plaza?
  • Regarding the St Annes Lofts. Has anyone else noticed that they look nothing like the pre-construction renderings? Not even close. Also, there is a giant stone cross on the front of the building. It looks strange. I know they built an extra floor, and that was very controversial, but I'm wondering if the builders just created a whole new set of blueprints mid- construction.
  • I've always wondered the same thing. It's not only that it looks cheaper than the rendering in the materials used, but that it looks nearly unrecognizeable, like a whole different project. However, the whole "cross" controversy is a whole lot ado about nothing, if you ask me. I didn't even recognize it as a cross until they did a story on it.
  • I didn't know there was a story about the cross. I'm not trying to suggest that the cross is intentional or a conspiracy. In fact, I think it's worse if it's accidental. Did they even hire an architect for the final plans? Btw, the cross makes it look like a diocese or a soup kitchen. No matter what it's meant to be, it's bad design. Thankfully, with big new projects on both sides of St Annes, hopefully it won't be as noticeable.
    MichMatters, do you remember where you saw that story?
  • edited February 2013
    It believe it was both in the State News and the LSJ. BTW, it was not accidental. It was part of the design to play off the name of the development. I think the building looks cheap and a bit ugly, but the cross is probably bothers me the least, and I say that as a guy without a religion.
  • Btw, I am generally a fan of the St Annes developers. They've invested a lot in Lansing and GR and have some classy establishments. I just don't know what happened with this project. I'm intrigued.
  • Thanks for the info, MichMatters. I'll try to find those articles. Not sure how I missed them.

Looking at the bright side, the new building next store looks to be on schedule, and it really changes the feel on MAC and Albert. Plus, Hopcat should be open in August!