General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Auto manufacturing is still most definitely classified as old economy manufacturing regardless of how advanced the actual plant machinery may become. Advanced manufacturing usually requires much more training and or a college degree. While GM plants have some skilled trade workers, the overwhelming majority of the jobs are lower skilled.

Advanced manufacturing on the other hand can include things like the manufacturing of microchips, robotics, etc...In this sector, more of the are skilled trades related than not. These companies are almost always significantly smaller in the number of people they employ because of this. A good example of advanced manufacturing in the Lansing area would include Niowave and Neogen, both in Lansing. Niowave makes parts of superconducting particle accelerators and Neogen makes products for advanced food safety. A city that has really attracted advanced manufacturing is Pittsburgh.
  • There was an article in the Free Press a few weeks ago that I can't find now. The Mayor of Pittsburgh was in Detroit for a conference (I think) and was talking about how he thought that Detroit (and Michigan in general) should be able to attract more tech/financial companies, similar to how Pittsburgh was able to replace lost steel jobs. He also had mentioned that he believed that there was more financial power already existing in the Detroit area then there was in Pittsburgh at the beginning of their change, so that should make their turnaround quicker.
  • The old Michigan Electric Supply Co. warehouse in REO Town makes an appearance in next week's city council meeting packet for action on a request for OPRA and state brownfield tax credit.

The plan in the packet indicates the owner wants to put 23 residential units and first-floor commercial space into the building. While the exterior appears largely buttoned up, the application indicates the interior needs a great amount of work.
  • It looks like a decent part of Grand Avenue is back open, and the new white-light decroative street lights look very nice. I was also surprised to find that they had two western lanes of Grand back open where the garage used to be between Ottawa and Ionia. I was under the impression it'd be closed for much longer.
  • I have a feeling they want everything looking nice for Silver Bells. I'm guessing they'll have the new portions of the Rivertrail open by then too.
  • Ahhh, good thinking there. They've had giant ornaments at the intersection of Michigan and Washington now for at least a week.
  • I was told a week ago while down at the Lansing Center riverfront promenade, one night, by some LEFPA workers who were doing some work that they were planning for a November 1st opening, but that that'd been pushed back until December 1st, but that they didn't even know if it'd be fully ready by then. My impresson from them was that they want to have the market and the riverfront opened at the same time, but one or the other is a just a bit behind schedule.

It wouldn't surprise me, either, if they end up opening both, anway, finished or not, by Silver Bells.
  • edited November 2009
    I stopped in Troppo today after Silver Bells and saw a rendering of the new Troppo building made out of food. It looked like a giant gingerbread house.

1120092232-e1258782324717.jpg
  • I've been looking for more information on the proposed NuUnion and Detroit Edison CU merger. I was finally able to find something on their website stating that the headquarters will be staying in Lansing and not moving to DECU's Plymouth HQ. Very happy to hear this. Now to see if it gets accepted.
  • edited November 2009
    Yes, it was announced when they announced the merger that the company would be staying in Lansing. If anything, NuUnion was the one that tookover Detroit Edison Credit Union even though they called it a "merger". What I found incredible was that in when they announced the merger NuUnion said twice in the article on the merger that their was no pressing or good reason for the merger, rather, it was just there/just happened. If that was the case, it's certainly something you don't say. lol

BTW, the council agenda, this weeks, mentions that 804 West Ottawa Street has been issued a Neighborhood Enterprise Zone (NEZ) certificate. NEZ reduce property taxes for 12 years for those that buy and occupy a residential unit. Since there is not a house at 804 West Ottawa, I imagine this is NEZ designation for the entire SOBI Square project on that largely empty block. Here is a map of existing NEZs in the city.