General Lansing Development

Comments

• Many of these developments probably won't be student housing in 20 years. I imagine that housing will be built closer to campus, it is just taking far too long for it to happen.

The weird part about most of the new construction is that it is designed for 3-4 unrelated adults living together, providing each bedroom with their own private bathroom. Amenities like this aren't found in traditional family housing. This isn't really a problem, but I would imagine that most developers would try to remove half of the bathrooms if they convert them to family housing to reduce maintenance costs.
  • You know, I'd also like to see more rental apartments built on campus. For whatever reason, MSU has actually being going the other way, when they should actually be trying to make the campus more lively with density. But, both MSU and East Lansing, bizarrely, have policies that have had the effect of pushing students further and further out from campus but for the dorms. And, of course, the rural townships are now too happy to take them in. In a sane world, Spartan Village and University Village would be much larger and nser developments, and you'd have retail along Harrison, etc...
  • The Delta Triangle in East Lansing has been getting some good density over the past 3-4 years. I am expecting that area to keep increasing in density as long as the city continues to upgrade the zoning for the neighborhood.
  • Oh, I forgot to mention that the parking lot behind MSUFCU on Albert Ave that was owned by the city has apparently been sold. There is a sign towards the front of the lot saying that it is privately owned. I haven't seen this anywhere else, but I am hoping that the surface lot will be developed in the next 5 years.
  • edited August 2013
    Okay, it took my awhile to place this, but you're talking about the city lot on Albert between Bailey and Divison. Who was is sold too? Looking at an aerial, you could fit multiple projects along this block, like multiple Stonehouses or Albert Places. I wish the city would along Lingg Brewer's project on Division to go through, too.

BTW, I wonder if we will see anything proposed for the city lot behind the 100 block of Grand River also along Albert? I remember someone had proposed some ten-story buildings for the site, but the city wasn't ready for it, then. With The Residences completed and East Lansing finally not afraid to let things rise vertically, maybe this will eventually spur the redevelopment of this parking lot, too.
  • edited August 2013
    The former gas station at 709 Saginaw (at the corner of East Saginaw) at the edge of downtown is finally being demolished. It's most recent usage was as a gas station and McDonald's, but it's been a few years since it was occupied, fully. I'm not sure if they are going to tear down the store section, but in just the past few days they've taken out the canopy and pumps. Hopefully, they are going to do a wholescale demolition and dig up the gas tanks so that the site will be easier to market.

It's always been my dream having grown up in this area that MDOT would allow for the reconfiguration of this major highway intersection to be more pedestrian friendly so that you can actually develop something urban, here. It's kind of an embarrassing gateway to downtown. Streetscaping is practically non-existant. Parking lots and drive ways dominate every corner as if this was some suburban area, and the sidewalks are tiny. Before the construction of the McDonald's building in 1999, there were some historic (if even ridculously modified and ugly) buildings on this largish lot that lined Saginaw, so you can have stuff actually facing the street at this location, but the road needs to go on a diet. You could really extend the sidewalks in this area an entire lane on each side into the street, IMO, and still have enough room for auto traffic.
  • I was looking through the city council packet and seen the 3600 Dunckel development and it will be a reuse of the current building. The 144 condos will become 142 student housing units made up of 129 efficiencies, 9 two bedrooms and 4 one bedrooms. There are some poorly scanned renderings and it looks like may be doing some exterior renovations also.

There is also a plan to demolish the old Boichot plant on Turner. They will demolish most or all of the old buildings and build a new concrete plant at the the back of the property. I'm not really sure I like the plan, and I certainly don't like brownfield funds being used to turn an out of place industrial site into a more modern out of place industrial site. Concrete upgrades
  • The concrete plant is not out-of-place. It's in a major heavy industrial corridor along one of three of Lansing's major railway on spur directly onto the property, and down the way from a major Lansing railyard (Ensel). Not everything can (or should) be be lofts and offices and retail. In fact, I'd like to see more reuse of industrial buildings in the city proper. Though, I would agree that it seems odd and not in the spirit of brownfield funds to clean up a site for another industrial usage. The whole point of brownfield funds seems to be that you clean polluted sites for a significantly cleaner usage.

BTW, just to add to what you said, the concrete silos at the site will remain, as they belong to LaFarge.

A photo I took in 2007:

8597432422_df17219b1c_c.jpg
    Boichot by NewCityOne, on Flickr
  • I'm glad to see the 3600 Dunckel redevelopment moving forward. I'm somewhat surprised the hotels at that site have not been more successful (with the Waterford, and Clarion before that, closing). It seems there would be more of a market, even with the Red Roof Inn across the street. Regardless, with it's proximity to MSU, Spring Arbor, and I-496, that site has plenty of potential.
  • edited September 2013
    Was shocked to see the old Abrams Aerial Survey building on Larch (directly across from Oldsmobile Park, and two buildings north of Rum Runners) finally brought down. Some years back, it was going to be developed into a multi-story condo building, but the plans were cancelled when the developer unexpectedly moved to California. Anyway, I am hoping like heck that this wasnt demolished for more stadium parking, as this is one of the only halfway intact commercial blocks left in the inner-city, really. It leaves quite the visual whole between Paramount and the old second-hand shop.

EDIT: Looking at city records, it appears Paramount bought the old Abrams building (1928) back in 2011. I hadn't even heard this. I'm hoping this means an expansion of their storefront/retail space on Larch, but this makes me believe that this demolition will be to expand their parking. :(

BTW, still haven't heard what the plans are for the gas station being torn down about four blocks to the north at Saginaw, but they are tearing down the entire property, so I imagine this is for redevelopment.