General Lansing Development

Comments

• This is weird. On a preliminary look-over, it appears the rendering in the LSJ is different from the site plan at WLNS.com, unless my eyes deceive me:

3258965_G.jpg

Existing Building:

3258966_G.jpg

I have to say, again, that were I designing this, I put the retail building right up along Grand River (and push the retail parking to the side of the site), and then have the warehouse and office building at the back of the lot with its own parking around it.
  • Yeah, really weird positioning for the retail building.
  • Anyone see the tower crain built downtown? It's right outside the Mason Building, which I assume means it's part of the renovation, but I'm kind of surprised they needed a tower crane for what I assumed was almost an entirely internal renovation.
  • Yeah I noticed it too, I don't think they would need it if it was just to get supplies up there.
  • What do you think it could be for? Are tower cranes ever used for anything outside of construction?
  • I had mentioned the possibility of a crane a few posts back. My dad had noticed the footing for it about a month or two ago, I was skeptical that they'd need a crane so I has assumed maybe it was for an exterior elevator instead. I asked him why he thought they'd need a crane and he didn't seem to know. He said the interior is to be completely gutted, but he hadn't heard anything about any exterior work. So long story short, who knows why they need that crane...
  • Tri-County Regional Planning has released their summary report on The Capitol Corridor study, which studied long-term and comprehensive updates to the corridor. Go take a look. It's a big file, but it's very interesting.
  • edited February 2014
    I thought you guys would also be interested in this. I wrote CADL's Local History department about an old streetcar map of Lansing. Well, they didn't have that, but they had master plan from 1922 showing lots of goods (See it here in "original" size for details). You guys will probably be able to point out some things I've yet to study on the map (such as the subway, which I can't find), but it shows some interesting things like the elevation of rail line on the eastside of downtown which to this day can cause horrendous back-ups and what would eventually become the Lansing River Trail system.

It kind of gives you hope that streetcars could return, again.
  • Just FYI your links are all messed up for me, there seems to be two links together or something.

There's a lot to take in on that map, but I'd say Lansing would be a better place had they followed this plan. From large continuous park along the river on the east side, the elevated rail lanes through the city center, improved street layouts on the south and west sides and of course the street cars. I can't find the subway either.
  • edited February 2014
    Apparently, someone left a comment on the plan to tell me that the "subway" are road underpasses beneath the elevated rail.

I fixed the link. Apparently, I don't have to add quotations around the url, here, which is what I'm used to on other sites.