General Lansing Development

Comments

• I'm guessing I saw that a week ago when I didn't post the story lol.
  • Sorry, the Capitol Club thread was getting a bit off topic. So I'll repost part of it here...
    Considering that the Stadium District, Marketplace, Midtown, and proposed Outfield are 4-5 stories, it would be nice to see a 6-8 story residential/mixed use development in Lansing as a next step. There are not a lot of examples of this happening yet in Greater Lansing, but the HopCat building is East Lansing is 8 stories, and the Capital View tower in Lansing -- though not residential -- is 9 stories. Then perhaps a decade from now, 6-8 story developments in/near downtown Lansing can grow to something 10-14 stories? That may be wishful thinking...
  • This talk as got me thinking of the most likely project to be announced next and the only one I can think of on the horizon is Gillespie's property at Larch and Michigan. I know the proposal was last known to be 3-4 floors, but that was preliminary. I think a 6-8 floor building would work well there, it would certainly encourage development going further east.

Speaking of this area, I keep forgetting to mention that it looks like they're working on the three floor apartment building on Hosmer just south of Michigan that a had a fire a few years ago. It'd be great if whatever they're doing is more than just to stabilize it or protect whats there.

Penfil Apartments
    PenfilApartments.jpg
  • I totally forgot to mention the old Penfil. Yep, they are definitely working on it, again. I guess it means that the insurance money from the fire finally came through. I was really thinking they were going to tear this down, which would have been a crime.
  • edited June 2014
    I wondering what this sheet metal was sticking out of the ground just east of the Cedar Street bridge in Lansing over the Red Cedar. Looks like they are driving bigger pipes under the river to reduce flooding in south Lansing:
    Lansing spending $3.3M to reduce sewer backups with Cedar Street project

A potential solution to sewer backup woes in southeast Lansing is taking shape on the banks of the Red Cedar River.

In recent weeks, crews have begun work to replace and install larger sewer pipes under the river near Cedar Street to carry sanitary sewage to the Lansing Wastewater Treatment Plant.

Alec Malvetis, assistant city engineer, said the $3.3 million project is the first stage of an effort by the city to enlarge some sanitary pipes underneath the Red Cedar and Grand rivers to reduce bottlenecks causing sewer backups for hundreds of residents.

He said the current effort at Red Cedar should alleviate sewer backup problems in southeast Lansing. City officials say sewer backups have become a worsening problem in Lansing in recent years, partly because of more severe storm events.

Later this summer, crews will use steel sheeting to wall off and dry out half of the Red Cedar riverbed east of Cedar. This will allow crews to lay sewer pipes underneath the river bed.

Once one side is completed, the other half will be completed in a similar fashion, Malvetis said.

The city also intends to dramatically improve capacity to its sanitary sewer system with a $3.3 million upgrade to the Frances Park Pump Station, likely in 2015. That should help alleviate sewer backups in west Lansing.

This is an important quality of life issue for the southside. The area around Everett High School near Holmes Road has been routinely flooding. Hopefully, this keeps people's homes from being damaged in this area and keeps them in the city. There are flood prone areas on the far southwest side, as well, that I hope this helps.
  • Thanks, I was biking along the River Trail last weekend - of course I got slightly detoured by it - and was wondering what it was about. I assume this is related to the larger combined sewer overflow project that seemed too have stalled a couple years ago?
  • I think they are still doing parts of the combined sewer overflow project, but from what I understand, a year or two ago Bernero changed direction to do other (more efficient and cheaper) projects to statisfy federal authorities about overflow into the rivers. So, yeah, this is loosely related to that, but it's attacking the issue from another direction. Instead of increasing capacity in the areas that flood, they are making the chock points that cross the rivers bigger.
  • edited June 2014
    I got these pictures of the Mason Building reconstruction this afternoon:

14452392123_63cfc04de6_c.jpgIMG_0008 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

14452391833_4af09bc208_c.jpgIMG_0007 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

EDIT: So just hours after I decide to post these pics, there is a huge article in the Detroit Free Press detailing how this renovation basically won't save the state any money, at least not in the short-run. lol Leave it to the state to muck up something that should have been a slame dunk.
  • I'm glad there is some serious discussion of this, it would be great to have more transit options: MDOT to study rail line that would connect Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit
  • edited June 2014
    A sorta feel good article from the LSJ: What's next for Michigan Avenue?

The only thing really of note is the level of confidence in Ferguson's quote regarding Red Cedar Renaissance, he said: “We’re good to go”,“We’ve got a strong project.” It's also noted that the development agreement for Red Cedar will be sent to council soon.

Edit:
    Also, The Abigail project was passed by City Council: Council approves low-income housing project in Abigail building. I went and looked at the council agenda and noticed that they also set a public hearing for Hepler's new apartments, and much more interestingly, a public hearing to rezone the parking lot at the NW corner of Washington and St Joe to G-1 (the same zoning as the denser areas of Washington Square and Michigan Avenue). This lot was for sale last I knew so I thought that they may be rezoning it to make it more salable, but I checked CPIX and it isn't listed there anymore, I checked the City's property info page and it still lists Accident Fund as the owner. The public hearing is July 28th, hopefully we can find out more, I'm really hoping to hear that there are already plans for the site, if there is something will probably be in the news before the public hearing.