General Lansing Development

Comments

• Hey, it looks like Clem's store on the 200 South Block of Washington is FINALLY getting a facade restoration. This was the old Michigania store (now in the Washington Square Office Building), and very last facade on that block that hasn't been restored/renovated.
  • edited December 2006
    My friend Tom (the manager of Clem's) heard from his landlord about this last week. They tore the metal facade down on Saturday, to see what was underneath. From what I've heard, the building owner is planning on renovating the front of the building in the spring, in anticipation of converting the upstairs into a loft (or lofts).

And believe me, my friend is probably just as relieved as you guys. He gets comments from people all the time about it, but he himself was powerless to do anything.
  • I'd always thought he owned the building.
  • Nope. I'm not sure who the owner is, but Clem's leases the ground floor level (and possibly the basement). My friend Tom is just the manager of the Clem's store. Which, incidentally, is a satellite location of the original Clem's in Fort Wayne, IN.

The store is making some progress, and seems to be making a name for itself around town. It's been featured in NOISE a couple of times. You'd be surprised how many well dressed businessmen buy comic books...
  • I must say, the facade under the screen is really nice, though it will have to be reconstructed as it's pretty damaged. I hope they try and restore it like they did the neighboring Ranney instead of replacing it with some faux-historic facade.

Hood, Bob T. informed me today that I was right about the MDA Building. When they said "it" they were, indeed, talking about reconstructing the building instead of razing and building anew kind of like the MEDC Building right across the street which is a reconstruction of an older building.
  • In order to make the MDA building decent it would take a rennovation/addition about as extensive as the MEDC building, but it could work. Also an LSJ article reminded me the other day, Washington Sq is going to be reopened through Shiawassee next year, that will be GREAT.

I seen that Clems facade, and it appears that it could be one of the nicest small facades on the street if restored right.
  • edited December 2006
    I think you told me a few months ago that the square would be open to traffic by next year to Shiawassee. I'd also been hearing it for months from other contacts. What delayed it (as it was originally planned for a few years back) is the CSO work. They wanted to coordinate it properly.

Bob T. also wasn't able to say alot, as usual, but he said that a momentum is building that could officially "tip" downtown starting next summer, meaning that the current wave of development in the past 6 years or so may finally be reaching its crest so that the downtown movement will be self-sustaining. It is bugging my like not other trying to figure out ANYTHING about these huge projects planned (i.e. Third Tier, Association Project...) He also told me that besides the MDA move to the Capitol View, the Boji's are planning something much larger.

I wonder what has become of the Cooley Law School Auditorium/Lansing Performing Arts Center concpet that LeDuc and Bernero were pushing during his campaign for mayor? I feel that Bob and the rest could give us SOMETHING.
  • With the Third Tier, Association project, Cooley Auditorium and whatever the Boji's are planning, that gives us several MAJOR projects in the works. Not to mention, Stadium District, Capitol View's expansion, Abrams Landing, RiverNorth, Blind School, Ottawa Power Station, Accident Fund expansion, University Center and the other the proposed LCC building. Sometimes I just have to list all the projects to grasp how many there truly are, most are still on the drawing board but the next year will be exciting. And to think this is all the first wave, we have yet to see even a hint of high-rise residential, downtown Lansing's office market is doing suprisingly well, I'd bet we have more office construction on the table than most any city our size.

One thing I hope the Boji's aren't planning is that addition to Michigan National, that would be terrible. I would suspect that their "big Project" will either be on the site of the Tower Ramp or next to the the 5/3 building, if not razing the building.
  • edited December 2006
    In next weeks council meeting the approval for the RiverNorth brownfield will be considered, this shuld be where we learn more, as long as the council members ask questions regarding the project as they usually do.

I emailed the punlic relations person for the Boji's (John Truscott Group) about the Capitol View project and the "big project." Here is his reply:
    "The only thing definitive right now is the rehab of the Hollister building. They will be refacing the exterior and converting several floors to lofts. Several new retail tenants will be moving in.

Anything else is just discussion at this point and will be announced if anything comes to fruition. But that's a big "if"
  • Sent another email to John Truscott asking if there were any details such as renderings and floorplans for the Hollister building rennovation and if there were any plans for the 5/3 building. He said that they would be releasing more info on Hollister "shortly" and that there are no plans to do anything with 5/3 "in the near future."