General Lansing Development

Comments

• I don't get the impression that the MDA building will go to anything, but rather it would be tore down and replaced. It is very poor building in a number of ways. It s set back from the street and only three floors, it also has very poor design. But I do agree that if somebody were to take a chance with residenial on N Washington it could be huge.
  • Actually, the article implies slightly that it is the building that's being looked at for redevelopment when they say "it" instead of "the site":

"Developers potentially want it for "residential or commercial use," he said. He declined to comment further."

Now, they could very well mean the site, but the article actually leans toward the building, so it's really not that clear.
  • I just don't see that building being used for residential, or for decent quality commercial in it's current state. If it were completely gutted and reskinned I suppose it could be dcent, but at that point it may as well just be razed. The building is among the ugliest downtown, in case anyone can't picture the building here it is:

MDAbuilding.jpg
  • Oh, I completely agree. I wish for nothing more than most of the northern square to be razed. I'm just saying what I thought the article implied. The MDA does have an impressive ground floor, though. It's very visible, and they seem to have an awful lot of art pieces lining the walls. It almost looks like a museum. lol

The MDA location would HAVE to be taller than the neighboring garage if they want to maximize the views which is why I'm thinking that anything put here will have to be a least a mid-rise to maximize the site.
  • The CSO Project on Michigan Ave has finished today. All of the lanes should now be open for travel.
  • I watched the city council meeting today and they were saying that the Boji's would actually add three floors to Capitol View, two floors would be for the MDA and would likely be sold to the MDA as an office condo. The Boji's would retain the other floor and lease it out. It would be nice to hear if this project becomes official.
  • That's funny because I'd always heard the Boji's say that the tower could support three floors of additional space, but I was then told, later, it was only two floors. That's really good to hear.

BTW, I JUST got some good news tonight from a source concerning the Ferguson development for the Triangle Lot. I was not given any additional information, but what I was given is the name the "Third Tier," and that it will be huge. I'll see if I can find out more over the coming week.
  • Just out of curiousity, whos the soutce and do you consider them reliable? My main interest in this project right now is a timeline, I would even be happy to know when renderings will be released.
  • edited December 2006
    Well, I guess I shouldn't have called it new news, as we all know that Ferguson has had something in the works for the Triangle Lot since it bought it, but I just happened to be told the name. Again, no detail was given beyond the name and scope of the project.
  • Given the name I wonder if this will be a mini-complex of state buildings, you have the Capitol Complex, the Secondary complex and now the "third tier?" Just a possibility...