General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Just went to the school's facebook page, and they have a flyover of the site. The view is looking southwest(ish) from over Marshall Street and the new athletic field where go where the current one is. What was throwing me off is that it appears they are moving and reorienting the baseball diamonds and the soccer field.

That "new" building proposed is the renovated/reconstructed gymnasium right off the student parking lot which will expand it to include a second gymnasium inside. The soccer field will be reoriented to sit right adjacent and parallel to the football stadium. The main baseball diamond will be moved to the west end of the site to make room for the reoriented soccer field.
  • edited February 2016
    Just passed by this yesterday and continue to be impressed. Little renovations like these are just as important as the big projects if not more in the end.
    635899208943112781-craft-exterior2.JPG
    Alexander Alusheff | Lansing State Journal

Gillespie Group revives Michigan Ave. apartments

LANSING – The Gillespie Group has invested close to $1 million to renovate 800 E. Michigan Ave, bringing the long-neglected craftsman-style apartments above Moriarty’s Pub back to life.

“We’re very passionate about Michigan Avenue,” said developer Pat Gillespie. “This will bring about 15 more people to the avenue and a new business to Lansing."

Gillespie Group bought the building at 800 E. Michigan Ave. in February 2015 for $280,000, according to property records. It started renovations last fall, replacing the roof, adding a laundry room and renovating the six one- and two-bedroom apartments on the second floor.

The apartments retain all of their craftsman elements, including the interior wall columns and archways that separate the living rooms from the kitchen while one apartment has an arch above the bathtub.

“They’re classic,” said Tara Smith, marketing manager for Gillespie Group, during a tour of the apartments. “The location is great too as it's walkable to Sparrow and downtown.”

Rent will range from $575 to $675 a month. Four apartments have already been leased and tenants

The former liquor store on the corner of Hosmer Street and Michigan Avenue will also be renovated. Gillespie Group is seeking a new tenant for the 1,200-square-foot space.

The rent is not bad, either. The building, built in 1912, will be known as The Willis. Here's a pic I took of it way back in 2006. lol

126863324_c7f7886660_o.jpg
    800 East Michigan Avenue by NewCityOne, on Flickr
  • He said that they are replacing the liquor store with something that serves the neighborhood better. I wonder what the status is of the places above the building just east of this one?
  • Anyone know the status of the 3-4 story apt building on the west side of this street? Seemed like it had a fire a few years ago but was slowly being rehabbed or something....I haven't been by there in awhile. That would be another important little project.
  • Jared, I believe the second floor of this block is the project along with the reconstructed storefront. That's two-apartments per storefront. I think Moriarty's is the only thing they aren't messing with.

MJ, I believe that project has been completed. It had a fire and was completely gutted and they rebuild the whole thing from the inside to more upscale standards.
  • MichMatters, I'm talking about the building next door with the barbershop and Stober's.
  • It's great to see this little strip get some attention. I was really glad when the Eastside Party Store closed, I was only in there a couple times and the shelves were practically empty, the only things they seemed interested in selling were alcohol and tobacco. From the outside the building looks pretty solid and it sounds as though they've done a good job on the apartments, now they just need some nicer storefronts.

@MJ/Michmatters Yeah the apartments you're talking about are the Penfil Apartments, the renovation has been done for a little while now (at least a year I think). There was definitely some concern when it had a fire, there's so few apartment buildings like that in Lansing it would've really hurt to lose.
  • edited February 2016
    69e10e_0954d83cc5474b16b12184440f52cda8.jpg

Last I checked, it was called Avenue Apartments, but now appears to be called Artist's Avenue. They never had a grand opening, it appears, and why no one really knows whether it's been reopened is that they've moved people in as they've renovated each unit. I've passed by a lot in the last year, and I could definitely tell they were still working on it. Great view from the place:

11008062_1644906839056997_2024509155252419388_n.jpg?oh=0180f2297ee509b1bf3f4e25df614579&oe=57288E8F
  • Penfil is its original name, I didn't know the new developer had renamed them. I assumed they were open as I've seen lights on and what looks like curtains/blinds in the windows as I've passed by.
  • Some of the units have been open for months. Like I said, they seemed to have moved people in before all of the units were done, which is not all that rare.