General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Well, then, Adam is not telling the truth, because that's exactly what's has been happening lately.

BTW, the city's public service department must have JUST updated it's construction map this week, because when I linked you guys to the page last week it was blank. Anyway, here are the projects for this year (and proposed projects for next year). Go to the full map to zoom in. You can click on the street to see exactly what kind of work they are doing.

http://lansing.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=6130837744fa4b3f82880053ae5a0ed5

I noticed just this evening that the work on the two blocks of 8th Street north of Michigan Avenue on the eastside is completed. Well, they still might need to stripe it, but it's reconstructed. I'm disappointed that there still doesn't seem to be any plans even next year to reconstruct Michigan Avenue. Hopefully, the city is able to get enough from the state to get this project added in by next year.
  • @MichMatters Thanks for the construction map. Besides the omission of Michigan Ave I see a few streets that are getting resurfaced that really need it. Trappers Cove, W Jolly, S Clemens and N MLK are all streets that I've driven down often enough to know how bad they are.

As far as the council HUD complaint, I think it's a wait and see situation. If this drags on into an investigation and council members boycott housing development incentives at this crucial time the fallout would no doubt be bad, really bad. I can't imagine how it's even solid legal strategy, they've already approved many housing incentives. It'd seem to me that doing an about face and voting against them after publicly acknowledging that it's only due to the allegations would raise further suspicions.
  • Thanks for the construction map! Actually it looks like a reconstruction of Michigan Ave is planned for 2017 from Bingham St (near Sparrow) to Clemens Ave. It's hard to see, but on the layers tab, click on proposed 2017 projects and uncheck 2016 projects. I live on the far southeast side of the city, and I'd like to see part of Miller Rd resurfaced. There's a very short stretch east of Pennsylvania (near the Meijer) that's quite bad.
  • I would like to see a lot more resurfacing plans there are so many streets in very rough shape. It's a start.

In the future if the city begins to get some more money from the state and feds,[soon I hope] maybe the city could say, divide the city into quarters, with a public service garage and crew for each quarter. Four small crews keeping up with a smaller area of the city that they would be more familiar with. Each neighborhood could contact their quarter's garage for service. Maybe downtown could have it's own garage as well. Downtown streets should be beautiful. Perhaps neighborhood and business associations could help fund the crew in their area.

I have been contacting a web site called seeclickfix.com there I have reported several giant potholes in my neighborhood and fresh graffiti on the river trail and the city has actually patched some of the potholes and painted over the graffiti. Each time I received a note from the public service department saying thank you and that I should contact them directly for faster service. I was impressed that they would actually act on the problems I had brought attention too.

The mayor and the council are being very thin skinned about issues that do not relate. The mayor is beginning to behave like he is more important than the city itself, and the council is fooling around with the only power they have to get the major's goat! He should fess up if there was something wrong with the attorney deal. Hey people have lives they are living even if they are in politics and I don't care about that, just don't try to pull something off on the public dime. The council needs to understand that they and the mayor should put Lansing first, all the time. What are they thinking?
  • Not any solid news, but Mayor Hollister is more connected than most, so his guess is better than most of our's. lol
    New GM plant likely in Lansing region, Hollister says

LANSING -- General Motors Co.'s recently completed half-billion-dollar investment in its Lansing Delta Township Assembly plant could be a sign it has another bold move in mind for the Lansing region.

Former Lansing Mayor David Hollister told the Lansing State Journal this week he anticipates that a second auto plant will be built in the township within the next "5 to 7 years." GM officials declined to comment.

The Delta plant occupies 320 acres of property GM currently owns at Millett Highway and Guinea Road, just west of the Interstate 96 and Interstate 69 interchange. The automaker owns an additional 780 acres of undeveloped land in the area, wrote Erin Davis, a GM spokesperson, in an e-mail to the LSJ.

"GM isn't in the farming business," Hollister said.
  • Tin foil hat time fellas: Power outage being blamed on the Eckert substation at the same time they're proposing it's highly controversial replacement?
  • edited June 2016
    Definitely tin-foily. The debate about taking if offline ended long time ago, so it's not like they need any additional justifications to shut it down.
  • @mindbender I can't imagine they'd intentionally cause an outage but I do find it distasteful that they took the opportunity of the news coverage to promote building a new substation at the Scott Park site: Old substation to blame for power outage, says BWL

@MichmMatters A new GM plant is huge news, it was always suspected that GM would build another plant on that site. There's something more to this though, Hollister isn't the type to spout off confidential information, this must be a controlled leak. I just can't imagine why they'd want/allow Hollister to talk about it without making an official announcement. I can't wait to hear more, a plant the size of Delta would probably cost over $3 billion now, not to mention the suppliers and other spin off investments.
  • I was just kidding. :)
  • To try and break the city council deadlock over the city attorney issue, Bernero has announced the appointment of a city attorney who served under two previous mayors. Abood has been demoted to deputy city attorney. Hopefully, the city council takes this olive branch from the administration and moves on.