General Lansing Development

Comments

• Apologies if I missed this already, but now and through the weekend the city wants public input on what Michigan Ave should look like. Apparently some kind of demo is going on on the 2000 block?

https://www.lansingmi.gov/1730/Imagine-the-Avenue

• Yes, I've been by a few times. I wouldn't mind this on some key stretches of the avenue. I know people who aren't used to it are going to complain, but Lansing could use some changes.

• edited August 2018

Well, this came out of nowhere, but in a good way. There is a small stretch of commercial properties at from the northwest corner of Jolly and Waverly north that are currently in Delta Township despite everything north and south of there being in the city of Lansing. It's always been a really weird set-up, and these have often been problem spots for crime in the area, but the city couldn't regulate this area since it's technically part of Delta Township.

Well, the city council's committee of the whole agenda this week shows a proposal from the planning department to finally have these five properties (11907 West Jolly on the south to 4820 Waverly to the north) annexed over to the city. I think this would the first legit annexation proposal (as opposed to 425 tax sharing agreements) by the city for any land in years. I'll have to look up the laws on this one, but I'm pretty sure that since there isn't anyone living on these parcels that will make annexation much easier. It'll be interesting to see if Lansing has discussed this with Delta Township at all.

annexation

This has always been of interest to me, because there are certain edges of the city that have always needed to be rounded out for convenience. I've spoke on it before, but there needs to be some revisions of the borders with Lansing Township, too.

• Delta is a Charter Township, so they have to be involved in the discussion. Charter Townships are harder to annex.

The way it normally works, if I remember right, is that 20% of the affected Charter residents must sign the petition to bring it to ballot, and then a majority of the Charter residents must vote in favor of the annexation.

In this case, I'm sure everyone in Delta will vote for it- the region drags their statistics down in all categories. But I don't know how it works when the proposed annexation area doesn't contain any residents to sign the petition. Maybe it goes straight to the Charter council to bring to ballot?

• "It's always been a really weird set-up, and these have often been problem spots for crime in the area, but the city couldn't regulate this area since it's technically part of Delta Township."

That explains why that little stretch always as been even more blighted than the rest of Jollly. Welcome to Lansing little shops!

• edited August 2018

It won't happen, but it'd make a cleaner border to use the Grand River as the SE boundary of Delta Township. That little stretch of Jolly is completely cut off from the rest of the Township.

• edited August 2018

Completely agree about the borders in that area. Not only is that area of Jolly not directly accessible to the rest of the township, but there is one other piece of township land over that way, too: All the land bound by Waverly to the east and a line drawn east-west just above Hunter's Ridge + plus a few contiguous properties lining Waverly. Check out this map to see the exact borders:

delta 2

Delta

This whole area makes more sense with Lansing than Delta Township.

• edited August 2018

I see I was too quick to the jump; it looks like the agenda for the council meeting that day was uploaded a bit later giving more detail on this. The Eaton County Clerk notified the City of Lansing of the petition saying that she had validated the petition by the residents wanting to be annexed. That will require a vote of city residents and those on the territory to be annexed for the November election.

So there are in fact "electors" on part of this land to be annexed. Looking at the township's website, there does appear to be one house on the parcel (the parcel on West Jolly) that runs up the back of the commercial parcels. I just realized, too, the commercial properties come with the residential parcel as annexations are no longer supposed to create "islands" within another jurisdiction.

Here is the section of the act that governs annexation when there are apparently people on the land being annexed:

(5) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (3), a portion of a charter township contiguous to a city or village may be annexed to that city or village upon the filing of a petition with the county clerk which petition is signed by 20% of the registered electors in the area to be annexed and approval by a majority of the qualified and registered electors voting on the question in the city or village to which the portion is to be annexed, and the portion of the township which is to be annexed, with the vote in each unit to be counted separately.

(6) If a petition is filed as provided in subsection (5), the county clerk, after determining the validity of the petition, shall order a referendum on the question of annexation. This referendum shall occur within 1 year after the validation of the petitions. The referendum shall be held at the first primary or general election held in that county not less than 60 days after the validation of the petition, or in compliance with the Michigan election law, 1954 PA 116, MCL 168.1 to 168.992.

I guess this changes my opinion on whether this is a done-deal or not. Given that there can't be anymore than single household on the land to be annexed, and given that at least 20% of them have requested annexation, this would basically be a done-deal, I suspect. Lansing residents generally vote "yes" on just about every question, and the residents on the land want to be annexed.

What I'm super curious about is who petitioned this and why they want to be annexed? It is very rare for a township resident to want to be annexed to a city in Michigan. The area is apparently already serviced by the BWL, at least it's water, anyway.

EDIT: Took me awhile, but I found the petition in the Delta Township agendas. It's signed by literally two people, and it looks to be a husband-wife couple. lol

• jeez, looking at the streetview it's clear that Delta wants no part of this land. They put the "Welcome to Delta Township" sign just beyond the one residential property- and far beyond the actual boundary at Waverly Rd.

Streetview.

• edited August 2018

This is so neat. I was just by here the other day and was remarking how well the park is kept up; this will take it to the next level like with what has been done with Hunter Park over the years down the street.