General Lansing Development

Comments

• I know I should link these stories but I do not know how!.
    On the Lansing history Facebook page, they are talking about the Civic Center, many have very fond memories of that place. It would be important as you say to make this new project a civic center as well a performing art center. In hindsight, the Civic Center could have been rehabilitated into a more modern facility and they could have built a hotel right in front where we have a surface lot now. Was there any talk about doing something like that? It does not seem like they put much thought into this. I think Lansing could have supported The Civic Center and The Lansing Center. That must have been a tough time to live through in Lansing, I'm glad I did not see all the destruction that took place in those years.

• To link Facebook posts, there's a little timestamp on the post that is a direct link to the post. You can right click on the timestamp and choose "Copy Link Location" or "Copy Link Address" (depending on which browser you're using).

If the link is for a webpage or news article, you can copy the address of the page from your location bar at the top of your browser.

Then you can paste that link in to your comment here. Just pasting the link alone will create it when you post the comment, or you can click on the icon that looks like a chain or "link" above and paste your link in the little box that appears. If you use the button, then it will provide you some extra syntax so you can change the title of the link.

You can find more information on formatting here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown

• The city just wanted to unload the center at the time, so there was no plans I can recall to keep it in the city's portfolio of properties. It was sold to some local developers in 1994, I believe the same folks who developed the Capitol Commons office and apartment complex a few blocks south. They then sold it to the state, I think, which considered renovating it for office space which they ended up deeming too costly, so they put a more modern office building on the site, instead.

I actually find Constitution Hall on the site a very nice office building with its soaring atrium. It's just too bad the state didn't decide to build it on one of its existing surface lots immediately in the vicinity.

I remember going to a circus or something there just before it closed. It wasn't anything spectacular, but any city the size of Lansing needs a civic auditorium, especially a state capital. In fact, the last state constitutional convention was held there, which is where the current office building on the site gets its name.

I found it really interesting in the LSJ article that they mention that it's pretty hard to keep the Lansing Symphony Orchestra in the Wharton Center due to the popularity of the latter. I'd love for the LSO to get a permanent home downtown (that's not the dinky Dart Auditorium), and it'd be a win-win, because the Wharton could then book more large events.

A great example Lansing should look at as it developers this idea is the Schuster Center in Dayton. It's a mixed use performing arts center which includes restaurants, residences and offices in addition to the actual PAC.

• Oh man!! When I first saw this photo I thought it was something being pitched for Lansing...... Something like this would be GREAT for Lansing. I don't like the term, but I think this would be a game-changer. Dayton's a little bigger and more developed than Lansing, but I think we could support a multi-purpose theater of this size as well as a 10-20 story office tower. Part could be hotel.

I'm glad to hear the Mayor and others are pushing for this. Is there a site in mind? Where would a good site be for this?

I could see it in a bunch of different locations. Near Lakeshore financial (it looks like that in the photo), the old YMCA site or somewhere close to Washington Sq, or more of an infill project near LCC (Capital & Shiawassee) Or right in the heart of things at Michigan and Grand or some of those parking lots on Grand. I guess it could go in those massive parking lots on west side of downtown but I'm afraid it might just get lost out there. People would only be driving to it, parking and driving home. No walking somewhere afterwards for dinner or drinks.

• I was thinking the same thing this photo looks like it could be Lansing. It seems strange to me that Dayton Ohio is more developed than Lansing.

• I like the Lakeshore site a lot for performing arts center. I think it would be nice addition to Washington Ave. and would sustain some higher end restaurants on that strip.

That said, anything (residential, retail, etc) would be nice at the Lakeshore site, it's such a barren patch of the city.

• My understanding is that Urban Systems has really good things planned for Laketrust and that block along Washington.

• I got all excited when I saw an excavator there last month, but they were just moving an ATM closer to the building. The Urban Systems folks seem to have a lot of plans but have yet to start any of them. I know it's all about the money and getting through the city permitting process but I would like to see these projects become a reality soon. Perhaps the hotel and apartments planned for the corner of Malcolm X and S Washington will be the first place they start building and that will be the icebreaker for the others.

• Urban Systems current focus, and first project, is The Wing down on Hazel Street.