General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited September 2020
    There is an vacation request introduced for a 444 feet utility easement of Case Street at 1401 Case in Northtown for today's council meeting. This is to allow the owner to relocate the existing utilities in the easement (which currently only serves the existing buildings on the property) to allow for the construction of a 36,500 sq ft marijuana grow facility. Love seeing underutilized industrial land showing new life.

urq20kujcrmx.png
  • It may be time to resurrect the name Lanstredam! There is a "growing" number of people working in this industry, with real tax-paying jobs. I wonder if after seeing Lansing have success in this "field" other communities will change their views on cannabis and want some of the tax money Lansing is now receiving.
  • I feel like being centrally located gives Lansing an edge for these sorts of facilities being built. You can hop on the freeway in all cardinal directions and get to where you need to go to distribute.
  • I'll have to check this out. This is on the building across Kalamazoo from the bus station:

• I had noticed some renovation going on there and caught a glimpse of the new mural. It is nice to see so much new art decorating Lansing.
  • Construction has started on the new Allen Neighborhood Center. From the article, "The three-story, 10,000-square-foot Allen Place Project is slated for completion in 2021." The facility will be home to the farmers market, an incubator kitchen, 21 residential units, a health clinic, and the East Lansing food co-op.
    https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2020/09/25/construction-begins-11-million-allen-neighborhood-center-facility/3521958001/
    It's great to see this moving forward!
  • This is the type of development I like to see happening right in the middle of one of Lansing's oldest neighborhoods. The combination of the smaller parts of the plan bodes well for its success. I will look forward to shopping at the Co-op which will save me some trips out to gigantic Horrock's [I do love Horrock's] with its large crowds and support some truly very local farmers.
  • edited October 2020
    Somethings from next week's planning board meeting:
    • A developer wants to develop a 10 apartments on a half-acre parcel immediately west of North Cemetery on E Miller Road. This is immediately north of the Meijer down on Cedar. They are requesting a rezoning from F Commercial to R DM-3, the second densest residenetial zoning district. The planning office recommends its approval, but also notes that they want the developer to negotiate with the city for an unused part of the existing cemetery currently zoned commercial adjacent to the east of this parcel as they aren't sure whether the existing parcel is large enough for what's planned.
    • A Pontiac-based developer is asking that the city expanding the Saginaw Street Overlay District be extended to include most of the block that St. Lawrence sits on. Currently, the district conspicuously is split by this block. And overlay district allows flexibility in zoning and more urban development by getting rid of setback requirements, reduction in parking requirements, the highest density of residential development regardless of the underlying zoning district, and height bonuses. They do not currently have a specific plan for the three parcels they own, but they want it to eventually develop mixed commercial and mulit-family urban development. The developer is also requesting vacation of Rose Court, which is a small street that extends about 230 feet west of MLK which currently only serves to access the surface parking lot surrounding the office building on the corner. So the site includes the office building on the corner, a smaller parcel adjacent to the west, and a small parcel to the north off of Rose Court. The vacated street will be merged into the surrounding paracels.

It also looks like they accidentally included some rezoning maps for the Eastern High School site, which shows Sparrow is requesting it be rezoned from C Residential (duplex) zoning to R DM-4, the city's densest residential zoning district.

Lastly, the minutes from last month show that the planning board unanimously recommended that the rezoning of the old Holmes Street School property be approved by council. A reminder about this one: A developer wants to developer 108 units on the site, which includes renovating the school, and then building a few small multi-story buildings along the perimeter of the site.
  • Interesting. Thanks for the updates Mich. Regarding the Eastern High School site, is Sparrow planning to expand the hospital or are they going to make this into a mixed use development of sorts? I wish the building was going to be saved but I imagine it is going to get razed with something new built at the site.
  • edited October 2020
    Hospitals can be built in this zoning district. I imagine it'll be a mix of housing and healthcare.

BTW, 220 N. Penn was in fact supposed to be on the agenda. What happened is that they posted the staff report for the E. Miller & Orchard Crt. twice forgetting to post the correct one from 220 N. Penn. That would actually state what's planned for the site. Hope they fix this.