General Lansing Development

Comments

• I think that one was Gilespie's. I actually don't like it that much, it is exactly the same design as the rowhouses in the Beaumont.
  • I don't like it either, but will be waiting to see exactly what ends up getting proposed at Ottawa/Butler.
  • Lansing representing a Lower East Side!

I love it, if only it would catch on...

You're killing me by posting a picture of the wretched Michigan Restaurant Association Building again. gah.
  • edited July 2007
    Just FYI, I was reading the a story about Harry Hepler and his MotorWheel Lofts in the Greater Lansing Business Monthly and it said that "In the future Hepler is partnering in the rennovation of the former YMCA building, currently vacant." It doesen't give any more details, and I doubt this will be happening any time in the immediate future. It is however, nice to hear that this building is going to be rennovated, I just can't imagine what they will do with it.

The GLBM has a bunch of stories on the redovelopments going on around downtown in the most recent issue, definately worth reading through them.
  • The BWL began lowering the Grand, today, to inspect the dam in north Lansing. I'll have to try and get some pics.

Lansing utility begins lowering Grand River
  • edited July 2007
    It's really not much news, besides the fact that the vehicles are pretty cool-looking, or at least a much better vehicle than the current "meter-maids" drive now. But, better yet, they are Michigan-made green vehicles, made right down in Wixom.

American Electric Kurrent

home_04.jpg

http://getkurrent.com/

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070717/NEWS01/707170340/1001/news

Parking enforcement fleet to be updated with electric vehicles

Tom Lambert
    Lansing State Journal

The city of Lansing will order up to four Michigan-made electric vehicles within the next year to update the city's parking enforcement fleet, which currently runs on gas, city officials said.

That's despite Mayor Virg Bernero recently telling the city's six meter enforcement officers to walk more while covering their respective routes.

The American Electric Kurrent, made in Wixom, beat nine other electric vehicles for the job, city officials said.

The Kurrent, for which the city will pay no more than $12,500, can run for about 35 miles on a full charge at speeds of up to 25 mph. The Italian-designed vehicle debuted in 2006 at Michigan State University.

Bernero could not be reached for comment.

Randy Hannan, Bernero's deputy chief of staff, said the move was made because Bernero was stepping up the city's efforts to clean up the environment as well as save money.

"This is part of the mayor's plan for a cleaner and greener city government," Hannan said.

The city initially plans to buy two electric vehicles and put the gas-powered ones up for auction, he said. If the city is satisfied with their performance, it will buy two more within the next several months.

Councilwoman Carol Wood questioned why the purchase is being made during tough fiscal times.

"If the mayor is having the meter people walk more, I am not sure I understand this purchase," she said.

Hannan said the meter officers still would drive vehicles, just not as far as in the past. He added the administration doesn't need the council's permission to buy the vehicles.

Andy Kilpatrick, the city's transportation engineer, said the city is saving about $25,000 from buying two electric vehicles instead of two more gas-powered ones.

Angie Heddens, 40, of Lansing said she applauds the city for being environmentally conscious.

"The environment definitely could use the help," she said.

Contact Tom Lambert at 377-1063 or tlambert@lsj.com.
  • Like a lot of the cities "green" efforts this is symobolic. If the city continues to go Green, we may just get some recognition on a national level. I'm not sure how common efforts like using electric cars and Bio-fuels are with other city governments, but Bernero seems really pressed about it, all these little changes are happening pretty quickly. Maybe the next step will be a new LEED certified City Hall/Police HQ.
  • edited July 2007
    In comparison to a place like Metro Grand Rapids (and many other metros), the green movement in Lansing is still very much in its infancy. And, yes, this really is symbolic. But, more important to me is that I think they look cool. :)
  • It appears, from more recent reports, that the Ottawa/Butler land will also host some amount of office space in addition to condos. I'm really anxious to see what kind of plan they come up with the site, as it sounds like it could consist of something low-rise.
  • I think it will be cool to see something significant get developed on the North side of Ottawa, I hope thats were the office space will go, its also where it would make the most sense.