General Lansing Development

Comments

• My involvement with the Eyde's....well...I had a friend who had a parking pass at their lot in college, but that's about it.

My interest is really more with the market in general and solving problems from the ground up. Lansing is losing population and has been for decades. If we continue to build on every vacant parcel and do not add to our economic base then we will simply end up with more red tags and vacant homes. I have no idea what that solution is. How do we get a google or vonage to come to Lansing? How to we change the opinon of young people that Lansing is a nice place to live so we have the market to build such developments? (I have watched as 6 of my college and high school friends, born and raised in Michigan, have moved to Chicago in the past year alone)

As far as a vision for the 7 blocks Kalamazoo/MLK parcel in question, I think that our vision is very similar. I have always thought it is the perfect place for a commercial/mixed use development, perhaps with some Printer's Row type townhomes further east. My point is simply that I believe in the market--- and the market is telling us (and perhaps even the Eydes) that now may not be the ideal time to develop said parcel as real estate continues to depreciate (8% in the City of Lansing last year alone).

That being said, it is the perfect time for others to seize opportunities within Lansing. I am personally buying as many existing properties as possible right now for long term investment. Just think if you had bought hundreds of stocks during the Great Depression and sold them 40 years later!!!
  • edited June 2007
    But, again, the Eydes have had nearly a decade to develop this lot. The fact that the market it looking down, now, isn't an excuse considering how long they've had this land in their possession. It would be different if they'd just got their hands on this property. Further more, downtown condos and apartments have been an absolute hit, so that segment of the market is more than healthy. What they've been wanting to do is build, basically, another office building in a very weak office market. If Gillespie can get away with Stadium District (mixed use office, retail, and residential) surely the Eyde's can develop their lot.

We're not talking about the redevelopment of the Ottawa Street Station or the building of a skyscraper, here. The neighborhood and city is asking for little more than a reasonable level of retail a dozen or two housing units. I could sympathize with them if we're talkin about developing a skyscraper in the middle of downtown, but we're talking about developing something that would probably be even smaller than the Stadium District, and they've had nearly a decade. If you really believe in 'the market' as you keep saying, then you'd see how ridiculous this process has been.

And, again, my opinion on them isn't just about the 7 Block (what we're talking about) fiasco, but the many other properties and land they own that have been sitting empty for years now, while other developers have found success in this 'poor' market. Seriously, go to the city's property look-up database and type in Sam Eyde, Eyde Construction, Eyde Sam & Judith, and you'll see they own more than enough empty properties in this city. We have more than enough information to question their motives. Owning in an established city with history isn't like flipping properties out in the nameless suburbs, and thus shouldn't be treated as such. From all that I've seen they are trying to apply the same business model to central Lansing as they would in the characterless Northern Tier of East Lansing, or the forgetable office parks of Delta Township, and it's showing.

Lansing deserves better, and fortunately, it's getting that from people like the Gillespie's, Elliott's, and Helper's of Lansing. You find success in 'poor' and declined central city markets by finding a niche. The Eyde's haven't found that niche, and it doesn't appear that they want to. I guess I wouldn't mind if they'd just come clean and quit portraying themselves as wanting to redevelop their inner-city properites. If they are property flippers, they need to be honest about it.
  • edited June 2007
    Great news, and I'm all for anything to make us cleaner, and the company is local, no less"

Link

Lansing city fleet getting greener

Midday update

Jeremy W. Steele
    Lansing State Journal

Lansing will begin using engine lubricants made from vegetable and other bio-based oils as part of an effort to reduce greenhouse emissions and increase the city fleet's efficiency.

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero announced a deal today with NRG Superior LLC to use its TVT 24-7 line of lubricants and engine additives.

Bernero said the move will help the city meet its pledge to reduce energy usage by 10 percent and cut the city's greenhouse gas emissions under the U.S. Mayors Climate Protection Agreement, which Bernero signed in February.

"We're serious about meeting those goals," he said. "That means we need to take action."

The lubricants are expected to reduce fuel costs for the city's fleet by $90,000 to $150,000 a year.

NRG Superior is a sales and distribution affiliate of NRG Resources Inc, a California startup company focused on alternative energy and bio-based fuels.

NRG Resources co-founder and Senior Vice President Hiep Trinh is a Lansing native.

"As Lansing natives, this is a special point of pride for us," Trinh said.

Lansing is the first city to use the products, Trinh said. NRG is targeting manufacturers and commercial operations with its product line.

Read more on this story in Tuesday's Lansing State Journal.

Contact Jeremy W. Steele at 377-1015 or jwsteele@lsj.com.
  • According to this weeks' City Council agenda, the Michigan DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) has issued the permit to construct, in two phases, the entire south branch of the River Trail from Potter Park to Maguire 'Park', the greenspace at the northwest corner of Aurelius and Jolly behind the 7-11. This had always been planned, but because it runs along Sycamore Creek, it had to be approved by the DEQ.
  • I'm glad to see this finally happenning, but I'll have to see a map to understand where it is. I haven't seen an updated rivertrail map in a long time, I'm not sure where they have added new trails at all. Do you know if Hawk Island/Scotts Woods are connected to the river trail yet?
  • I believe that's the branch of the river that's going to be connected by this development.
  • Yes, this will connect the Hawk Island/Scott Woods portion recently completed (that I have yet to see) to Potter Park, and extend all the way down to Maguire Park. Perhaps, you could call or write the Parks Department to get a map of this.
  • I can't wait for this river trail extension. I think this is a great project. My understanding is that from Scott Woods/Hawk Island this will follow Sycamore Creek to Biggie Munn Park and Maguire Park, which is pretty much undeveloped. They are almost on the corner of Jolly and Aurelius.
  • As the River Trail is grade seperated, it's going to be interesting to see what kind of bridge they stretch over Aurelius to get it from Munn to Maguire Park.
  • The building on Michigan getting a second floor is really looking interesting. It looks like the second floor is going to sort of have an ultra-modern look, oddly sloped roofs and large windows on the side. Definately worth taking a look at.