General Lansing Development

Comments

• The housing commission bought the old LSJ parking lot south of the MBA building on Grand for their phase two.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VDAgCKhhSKoR4sNP7
  • Thanks. When was this reported on?
  • @citykid shared the information awhile back.
  • @hood https://cofs.lara.state.mi.us/SearchApi/Search/Search is a great tool to see who is behind LLCs and such.
  • @citykid how did the Planning Commission meeting end up with the ADUs and such?
  • 3724 Pleasant Grove rezoning for two 5-unit rowhouses - no concerns and recommended approval.
    1950 N Waverly adult foster care - a few neighbors stated the police have been called many times because of residents so they tabled so that staff can do more research.
    ADUs - no concerns and they recommended approval. Only one commissioner is dead-set against them and they weren't in attendance so everyone else was like 'yes, let's go, do it'. I think our recommended regulations do a pretty good job of being permissive and while being a little conservative. There are a few things that can be relaxed over time as we see how things go. ADUs are the number 1 request of zoning, but I think there will be backlash when people see them be built so we may explore some ways to let the broader public know. I have been able to find 5 or so already existing so there is some precedent. This should be introduced to Council August 26 and voted on October 28 (their schedule system is bonkers). Anyone is welcome to email city.council@lansingmi.gov if you want to voice your support.
  • One of my parents grew up in a house on Clemens with an adu older than the main house, it's still in the family and rented out. I wonder if it's one the ones you've found? I always thought it was a cool setup.
  • edited August 13
    but I think there will be backlash when people see them be built

You think so? I don't imagine there will be any significant pushback. As you said, I think the regulations you guys have put on them (particularly the height ones) are conservative if anything. It definitely doesn't allow anything like building another two-story house in someone's backyard. lol Also, how do the existing ones work with current zoning? Is it just that they're non-conforming but haven't had to be changed because no one's upgraded them?

Oh, looks like on Aug 22 the city is going to formally request release of funds from HUD, which is the gap funding to allow the construction of the 40-unit Hillsdale Place at Hillsdale and MLK. Parcel viewer showing that there is currently a commercial plan review filed on the 1st, which is required for anything multi-family. So we should see shovels in the ground on that soon. I'm still confused why all these years later, though, that the city still owns the land. A draft purchase agreement was filed with the city way back in January 2022.

BTW, the city should make the commercial plan reviews and permits and such publicly accessible. The BS&A website already makes accessing them possible, but they are blocked behind a log-in.
  • edited August 13
    Oh, I guess my comment was more that I think people complain about anything, especially in regards to new housing. The craziest one I have seen in another community is two 8-unit apartment "ADUs" allowed on single-family parcel because it met their exception/performance standards for affordable units, no parking, etc. I can't remember where but it was wild. They had this complicated equation for additional units and some developer figured out how to take advantage of it.

The ones I have found are in a mix of places; three near-westside, one near Oak Park, and one on the far southside. I haven't seen the one on Clemens but I think I just found it, off Michigan Ave. Generally they would just be non-conforming. I have never seen an old ordinance allow them so we'd have to do some research to determine legality for the purposes of being rebuilt following destruction. Technically an ADU could be built in R-MX and DT-1 right now because they allow single-family housing and don't limit the number of separate buildings. Little loophole.

1020 W Hillsdale: The developer has had a heck of a time getting financing while building material prices kept increasing so that is why this dragged out so long. Personally I think it should have been abandoned a long time ago instead of subsidized more and more, but whatever. Weirdly enough, MDOT owns a random parcel off MLK and bureaucracy stood in the way of it getting transferred in a timely fashion so the layout is going to look like a regular apartment campus rather than true rowhouses. Not completely out of place for that area, but not ideal.

I believe East Lansing started making all of their information and plans publicly available. Something to advocate for.
  • Disappointing to hear about the Hillsdale project but it is what it is at this point I suppose.

Sparrow/UofM are making silly statements about Eastern, justifying its destruction because of a lack of air conditioning along with out dated electrical and HVAC... As if any of those things would be saved in a renovation of the building. They even mentioned falling tiles as if they are somehow indicative of the building's inability to be restored or the presence of asbestos as if that's not in every single old building. Vague statements about an apparent foundation issue. They're really playing on people's ignorance of construction and renovation. The leaky roof has no doubt caused damage but I can't imagine anything terrible, in the video/pictures I saw from the people that got in there a few weeks ago, most things looked in very good condition. The LSJ article is pretty much a joke, very nearly a press release for UofM. There's a reason they don't want people taking pictures or videos.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/community/2024/08/13/lansing-eastern-high-school-alumni-sparrow-um-psychiatric-care/74771508007/