General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited August 14
    Perhaps it's not legally permissable to say publicly, but at least within the city government there needs to be an understanding that if they want to take this building down, there will be absolutely no help from the city for this; no tax incentives, no variances, no rezonings (if needed), nothing.

As for Hillsdale Place, I can't imagine it's really much different than what we saw originally proposed. I was complaining about it essentially being built around an internal parking lot with its back to MLK when it was posted about on here a few years back. lol Anyway, 4 buildings of 10 units each. Honestly, I can't complain too much because of the density and the fact that the location - along a busy state highway on the edge of a district - isn't exactly conducive to urban development.
  • edited August 13
    I've done projects on large high schools of similar age. Failing roofs, horribly outdated MEP, failing replacement windows, etc. We regularly are adding AC, replacing a central steam building with new heating, updating mechanical and plumbing, replacing windows, reroofing or coating, etc. These projects are often for poorer districts that are just trying to keep the buildings going, and they can swing it. Asbestos abatement is almost always part of the project, but using the terms scares the general public. These aren't by any means a gut job. In some ways, a gut job would make things easier. And I'm not talking about gutting historical aspects, just completely opening it up as necessary to get modern systems in.

What I'm getting at is that a health system, especially UM, has the money to do this. It is entirely feasible for them. What should be done, if they're playing this game, is to hire an AE firm to do a facility assessment. I'd really love to get in there and see what is so detrimental. Schools are easily adaptable and solid buildings. Rarely have I come across an old school building with any serious structural concern. "Foundation issues" is just another term that helps to scare/concern the public that it's beyond help. So, overall...I'm just agreeing with all your statements lol. The are absolutely ridiculous with this situation.

This will be a huge mark against City of Lansing and UM Sparrow if they don't at least keep a portion of it. Agreed that they should get no incentives or support from the city if they choose to demolish the whole thing.
  • We live in the state of Michigan where we've seen buildings as far gone as the Book Cadillac and Michigan Central Station in Detroit saved from this:

a26471f082c18711e0ada952f3cd6e04.jpg

7cc62687e63766b9431b79471a55672b.jpg

There should be not even an inkling of entertaining that Michigan Medicine - which is projecting $8 billion in revenue, this year - couldn't fix little ole Eastern High School (which has been far better kept). I won't hear any of it.
  • Yeah, there's been so many buildings restored/renovated that have been abandoned for years and decades; buildings with caved-in roofs, fire damage, important missing details, crumbling exteriors, etc... There's no way they can look at me with a straight face an say Eastern can't be saved, or even that it's not economically viable. I've not been asking that they even save the whole building, just the Penn frontage and auditorium. If UofM doesn't want to renovate the building themselves into something like assisted/independent senior living, professional offices, administrative offices or patient/employee housing; then they just have to tear down the wing that sits on the land they need, put a little effort into buttoning up afterwards, then sell the building to a developer. I'm sure the city would be happy to work with them on putting together and promoting an RFP for the site.

@Lymon89 It's refreshing to hear that a professional opinion more or less supports what I've been arguing regarding the renovation process/needs of the structure itself. I have experience in residential construction/design and a general working knowledge of heavier construction/historic renovation but my observations on the viability of restoration here are ultimately anecdotal. Good to hear that I'm not off base.
  • At least two separate developers have approached Sparrow to rehab just the building with no extra land, or to partner on a project, and were rebuffed.
  • I believe that Walter French was in much worse shape, but somehow it will soon be full a lot of residents who will become a community of neighbors. I may have adolescent opinion, but I believe the U of M seems to take some satisfaction in placing their yellow block M everywhere possible in Lansing including their employees. I know it is a world class institution, and all that, but they don't seem to respect our local Lansing culture. It could be me who thinks that way but Eastern H.S. seems to be another issue where the U of M is not considering Lansing's culture and history.
  • edited August 14
    I hadn't even connected the Walter French renovation to this one. lol That building caught on fire multiple times, too. The last one was in January of last year, in fact. Same with the old Genesee Elementary finally about to be renovated. Eastern has been immaculately maintained by comparison and with an owner with a lot more money to work with than any other old school renovation in Lansing.
  • edited August 14
    All the more disappointing that there's local developers actually willing to take the project on and they're being snubbed.

And yeah, throughout my arguments with people on Reddit I was referring to Walter French, Holmes St and Cedar St schools as recent local examples of school buildings that were abandoned for years and in much worse condition.

EDIT: City Pulse has a story on the Eastern saga and LSJ's poor reporting. Events are increasingly making it seem as though UofM is being intentionally hostile to this community.

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/lansing-state-journal-story-on-eastern-high-school-lacks-credibility,106164
  • edited August 23
    Two PILOTS (payment in lieu of taxes) are submitted next week for the housing in the Cherry Hill neighborhood, finally. The first is Riverview 220 (56 units) that we've been talking about, the the other one is the 500 South Grand/Cherry (55 units) which has been given the name "Grand Vista Place." Neither came with any other documents aside from the PILOT requests, prevailing wage agreements, & a lot combination for Grand Vista Place.