Waypoint Dunckel

edited July 21 in Lansing

This is a proposal for four, 4-story apartment buildings containing 286 units at 3600 Dunckel, and old hotel property. From the LSJ:

LANSING — A four-building, $52 million apartment complex at the site of a former hotel near the intersection of Dunckel and Collins roads could start construction later this year.

The complex is designed meet the housing needs of new medical professionals who will come to Lansing for jobs at McLaren Greater Lansing's new hospital. The hospital announced in December plans to consolidate operations at its two south Lansing facilities into one $450 million facility near Michigan State University.

“This will be one of the first few incidental positives that comes out of the McLaren announcement," Lansing Mayor Andy Schor said.

The proposed housing development will have four buildings holding 286 market-rate units. The project will include garage parking, an outdoor pool, courtyards, grilling stations, an enclosed outdoor dog park, a clubhouse and a leasing center.

This is a brownfiled plan (#73) and will formally be introduced at the Lansing City Council's July 23 meeting so that the Planning & Development Committee can review it and set a public hearing for it in a few weeks. This starts on page 172 of this week's agenda.

A few interesting things we find out are that they only takes in part of the 12.09 acre 3600 Dunckel parcel, cutting off some of the not-built areas to the north and west and includes the the "Collins Road" parcel in total. In total, this would make these two parcels 9.6 acres.

Waypoint

3600 Dunckel

This is very generic, but I'll give a bit of a pass because 1. it's still really early 2. this is literally at the edge of the city 3. they are at least using some hard surfacing on the facade, and 4. it's appropriately scaled when they could have done something even smaller/generic. I look forward to seeing the site plan. I do want to see them use less vinyl siding, though, and the council should push for some design changes.

Comments

• Let's hope for something more interesting, maybe even nice looking.

• edited July 24

A bit more information I got on this one. Apparently, the zoning map is out-of-date and the rezoning of this site did go through way-back-when. It shows a DM-2 zoning, which is moderate multi-family (up to 31.1 units/acre), when it's really a E-1 zoning, which allows the highest residential densities (up to 87.1 units/acre) and also mixed usage. Also, either Waypoint or someone they will choose will develop commercial along Dunckel, which is why we are seeing the lot split in this brownfield plans, so that puts my mind at ease.

• The added commercial space could be quite beneficial for those in the area. Looks to add substantial value to Collins Rd.

• I like the look of these buildings but I'm disappointed that they're going with vinyl siding rather than fiber board or LP. Switch out the materials while keeping the design and I'd be happy with this one.

• The council's committing on development and planning at their August 6th meeting reviewed the plan and recommend council set a public hearing for this brownfield plan on August 27th.

At the same time, since the developers are requesting to develop this under the "planned residential development" (PRD) overlay, they have to go through the process for that - a special land use permit for the PRD - which they started at the August 7th planning board meeting. The next step for that will be for it to be referred the council's committee on development and planning for a review and recommendation of setting of a public hearing, which I imagined happened at the August 7th meeting.

So the Special Land Use Permit is a step behind the review and approval of the brownfield plan. In either case, this seems to be moving very quickly.