Looks like the city transportation committee hadn't yet made a recommendation on the traffic study the developers submitted, so the planning commission couldn't vote on the site plan and special use permit at their Wednesday night meeting. lol So it has to go back before the commission at their next meeting.
Next up is the review of the modified site plan, special use permit, and conditional rezoning by the DDA:
The DDA is also considering an amendment to the purchase & sale and development agreements because of the delay and because of the modifications to the plan. On top of that, the rezoning of the site will be heard in front of city council at their September 10th meeting:
So, many, many moving parts that aren't all on the same schedule, though it looks like the rezoning and site plan and special use permit could all hit council at their Septemer 10th meeting, which are the most important technical parts of this.
Well, this was unexpected, but I'm not really mad. The DDA voted tonight to end its exclusive purchase and sale agreement with Royal Vlahakis after they attempted to ask for another extension before the meeting, and will instead put out an RFP for the site next month. Doesn't mean Royal Vlahakis won't be chosen, but this stops this particular iteration of their proposal and it doesn't look good for their future chances.
I'm glad they finally pulled the plug, quite frankly. This is what should have happened months ago. What I want the DDA and Planning Commission to stop holding up, though, is the rezoning of this site. It deserves a B3 (downtown) zoning, and I'm tired of "concerns" that that allows too much height on the site.
Not a surprise, the city council voted down the rezoning for the site. They seem to be adamant that no legit high-rises will rise on this property.
It's currently zoned RM-32 which allows for a max of 6 stories or 70 feet. B-3 allows for a max of 140 feet, though only 112 feet in the district west of Abbot if it's mixed-use. So, we're not going to see anything over 6 stories on Evergreen unless the council has a change of heart.
The funny thing is that despite the DDA pulling its development rights, and this denial of the zoning change, Vlahakis' plan is being given a public hearing for October 8th before the council, which seems crazy to me if all they are going to do is deny it.
I think it may be a good thing to limit height in that area, there is enough space elsewhere to build higher buildings, the Sawyer's lot on E Michigan comes to mind . This plan would have created a dark street of shadow canyons, and a lot more vehicles in that neighborhood.
In my opinion, this is exactly where you'd want a taller building since the shadows it be casting for at least half of the day would be on the park.
BTW, the downtown zoning is only for the downtown. This and East Village are the only areas in the city zoned for any kind of height, and it's meant that was exactly so as not to cast shadows and such on residential streets.