The Ovation Lansing

Comments

• So...I have family that is involved on the financing side that has seen the new design. Unfortunately, he did not have a copy to share haha. He's very good about being discrete, so I haven't seen it...I just know there is already something out there. I really hope it's an improvement over the previous. While Kahn has had their issues, it has to be better, and of more quality, than SI.
  • I have to imagine that whatever is shown in a week or so will be significantly better than what we saw previously. They're actually spending a decent amount of money for a venue of this size so there should be some room in the budget to make it nice looking inside and out.
  • I am visualizing an awesome design right now!
  • Not sure if anyone has seen the new rendering yet, but here's a story on it with at least one image.

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/the-new-ovation,110395
  • Thank Goodness they have come up with a new contemporary design and marketing concept. "The O"!
  • Nice. The Ovation Facebook page posted a few more renderings:
    https://www.facebook.com/ovationlansing/posts/pfbid0bXo7FibhWvxrcAjQvn9jGuKS7neQQ68hKEa9yszrhG1dL9VL3c7f4FXik7qiwjGRl

As of yet I'm not seeing any good overall views of the whole building but it's vastly better than what they had previously. I like that they said "above ground construction" will begin in Spring. Great coverage from City Pulse on this.
  • edited September 18
    I'm curious what the material is around the large openings, but other than that, I'm so glad to see a professional and mature design befitting a serious performing arts space in a capital city. The massing's a little clunky on the exterior where you've got the stage/backstage portion, but other than that, these is at least something I don't hate. From the LSJ:

75278649007-ovation-1.jpg?width=1320&height=744&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

75278650007-ovation-2.jpg?width=1320&height=744&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

I have one little criticism of the renderings, and it's that I wish they've have actually rendered in more of the actual buildings along Lenawee to show the proper context. lol
  • I like the building more now that I see the wider view. I was worried about that box sticking out on Washington that I could see on the edge of the other renderings, but now that I see it in context it isn't terrible. Obviously not ideal, but not terrible. It looks like that white section will be used as a marquee billboard which would make it look more palatable.

@MichMatters That silver material looks disturbingly like corrugated metal, hopefully some sort of architectural grade cladding though.
  • That probably is some sort of metal panel. There are a lot of commercial metal panel products that have different profiles to them. I can't believe it would be just sheets of corrugated metal. That said, some of those panel profiles can look similar and are pretty popular right now.

My concern is having a metal panel that close to grade. People and objects will dent that up in no time.
  • edited September 18
    See, my concern was that it was grooved concrete. So I'm very happy if it turns out to be some kind of legit metal. lol Of course, you'd rather have it be nice stone or some higher quality metal. But if it turns out to be some mid-grade aluminium or something, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. This is being done a budget, after all.

That said, the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that that projecting paneled wall on the south side of the backstage tower is even necessary. It doesn't look as if it serves any practical or functional purpose, and I don't think it makes for a particularly useful cosmetic aesthetic purpose, either.

BTW, looking at the Public Media Center portion reusing the old credit union building, and it just strikes me now how nice it would have been to have a hotel built above it. I'd used it as an example before, but the Schuster Performing Arts Center in Dayton has a nice massing concept like this:

venue-schuster-mobile.png

The attached tower is housing and office, but I like the idea of a hotel targeted at the acts the Ovation wants to bring to town.