Marketplace

Comments

• I was by there Saturday. I didn't realize how small the new building felt until I drove by it.
  • That's funny, the soaring main hall, I thought, made it look and feel larger than the current building. I believe the difference in size would simply be akin to removing the middle part (the cross of the "H" shape) of the current market. I was surprised how visible this will be from Cedar, even though it sits lower and closer to the river. And, the view from the actual riverfront when all of the trees are cleared and this thing is lit, will be something to see, at night.
  • From Shiawassee Bridge:
    IMG_0241.jpg

From Museum Dr.
    IMG_0244.jpg
  • They started putting up the corrugated metal sides last week, and they're horribly ugly. I'm going to wait to pass judgment until the overall design becomes more clear. But if what they have up now is any indication of the final product, our City Market will be an embarrassment, nothing more than a big, ugly pole barn.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm pretty sure the metal siding is to be faced with brick; isn't that what the renderings show? I've been by it, and the metal does indeed look very ugly, but I was under the impression this wasn't the actual facade.

What does suck, however, is that the outdoor pavilion has since been cut from the plan. One of the better parts of the old market was the outdoor courtyard in the middle (on the south side of the "H") where many of the flower vendors had most of their stock. I am concerned that they are trying to cut costs too much. The market was already made smaller, and now they are cutting additional corners that will raise the rent by about half for some vendors, which is just crazy.
  • I have a bad feeling that the corrugated metal is the facade. Looking at how it's colored different to bottom would suggest that. That being said I really, really hope that I'm wrong.

As for the pavilion, that will be easy enough to build at a later date, and I'm sure they will.
  • edited September 2009
    I can't imagine it being the facade, because there was no white coloring in any of the renderings. I think the paint is sort of like a guide for the builders on where to start certain brick patterns and such.

And, mark my words, if the pavilion isn't built when this thing is going up, it's never going to get built. Very rarely does anything ever get added to a project after the fact. People simply get accustomed to the change and then forget that a change was ever originally included in the first place. Most people won't miss it, because most people won't even know that there was a pavilion in the plan to begin with.

It's why it's always absolutely imperative that you get things right at the start of any project.
  • Hood,

I went back to look at the renderings...

3147732954_af9a687d1e.jpg

And I have the horrifying feeling you may be right about the corregated metal being the facade. If that's the case, I'll never trust the administration and developer, again, about anything they do. This thing literally will look like a cheap, rural polebarn if the sheet metal (and that's really all that it is) turns out to be the facade. To add insult to injury it's not even different colored sheet metal. They literally painted the metal at the bottom.
  • The renderings certainly do make it look that way. If that does turn out to be the facade it will be pitiful, lets hope for the best, even if it's a partial brick facade.