Lansing History

Comments

• The city facebook pages have some interesting recent history shorts. The first is off the Eckert Station back in 1968 when the plant still had its old stacks before federal regulations required them to disperse pollution more and they chose the three taller stacks.

12417867_10153479627466179_4018899611650665777_n.jpg?oh=821000844c58f95a8ef28aba5ac1fd85&oe=5778E497

And, here is a photo from 1915 of the old Washington Avenue bridge over the Grand Rivver, which was completed sometime prior to 1912. Apparently, it was replaced in 1985. the public service department said that Lansing was known for arched street bridgs. Only the one on North Grand River Avenue near Old Town remains as an original, though, fortunately they kind of copied the design for the newest version of the Shiawassee Street bridge. All others are fairly utilitarian.

12924496_594903437342549_3830536350437887267_n.jpg?oh=25a52fe3cccd3e7b4fd2c8a875457069&oe=577D6663
  • I really love these two pictures as this is my neighborhood. I can remember when the power plant looked like this. It is a nice looking building with all the gear stripped away. I do not know how long this bridge lasted, but it reminds of the S Logan Street bridge over the Grand. It had a big graceful arch over the river, rail tracks and Olds Plant. It was not really great to drive on with a stick shift as the grade was steep and you could roll back or stall out. It was nice to look at from the Riverside Park, unlike the highway style bridges there now.
  • I came across a well done Youtube video describing the history of the Capitol Building: This is Lansing - Michigan State Capitol Tour

I make note of it mostly because there are some interesting renderings of proposed Capitol replacements at 3:30.
  • I found that video very interesting, the Capitol looks really nice these days. it was also interesting to see those plans again after so long. They were the reason the state took down the whole surrounding neighborhood, in exchange we would get this beautiful mall of modern shining buildings from Capitol Ave to Logan Street. Not really how it worked out.

Also on that youtube page is that video of a trip around Lansing in about 1970, now that I have been back for a while I can name the whole route. I like when they go over the old Kalamazoo Street bridge, and turn down Cherry over to St.Joe next to the 496 construction, and the last part of "The Gut" on North Washington.
  • edited July 2016
    Help needed to ID building from 1934, It is the tall building directly above the windshield of the car. The building has a chimney running up the side. Picture is thought to be taken from Grand Ave. Is this the Davenport U Building now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....thank you. http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/radssmith/media/64.jpg.html
  • edited July 2016
    If it's on Grand, it would have to be. It would make sense, too, since the western half of the building was built in the 20's and the eastern half in the 40. Though, the location of the camera is so low that you can almost make out nothing else identifiable.

There looks to be a garage or gas station in the foreground, so I'll check old sanborn maps to see if that can help up nail down the location. I guess if this is South Grand, I can at least nail down its north of Lenawee since we're not looking down from atop Cherry Hill.

EDIT: Can't find the link to the Sanborn maps on CADL, anymore. Anyone else know if they still subscribe to them?
  • @Rads I don't clearly recognize anything in that photo, but after some comparing I'm pretty sure the building in question is the back of the old Michigan/Strand Theater. I believe the Davenport building is in the far upper left of your photo, peeking out above the roof of the Michigan Theater. Here's an aerial to better show the two buildings:
    5f5ec055b68d908b31f775f767b5b28d.jpg

@Michmatters I successfully used the Sanborn maps on the CADL website at one time, but it was at least three or four years ago. I don't see it now either, it wasn't hard to find then so I'd say it looks like they don't have access to it anymore.
  • Nice find, Hood. You're right; it does appear to be the Strand, the only thing which is left of the auditorium being the upper half of the bowl on the back of the office building, these days.
  • Wow good eye!

I remember there was a service station and a Goodyear tire store in that area in the 60's maybe this business on the right was the forefather of that store. The Michigan Theater had a full deep theatrical stage.It was a big building. I only saw one play the there[lots of movies], which may have been the last play ever presented on that stage. It was a road show of "Jesus Christ Superstar" and it must have been in the early to mid-70's as it was not long after that for some reason they tore down the theater part of the building. There were a lot of buildings on that block, and when we would leave by the rear exit of the theater it felt very "big city" to me as a little kid, walking down the ally to get to the car. Kind of sad to see the foundation of the balcony and a bunch of surface lots there now.
  • edited July 2016
    The picture is taken 1 block south of the Montgomery Wards/Riverside Tires Service center on Grand looking west.......Sherm's diner car was next this service station. The Strand Hotel is facing Grand one block north of the building in question (N/W corner of Grand and Washtenaw?) . Here is another from the old stacks across the river looking west, the Strand Hotel is right of the "Electricity" sign on the fire house. it may be the building behind the stack or right at the edge of the negative. Thank you for all the replies.