Lansing History

Comments

• Wait, so did you already know the answer to your question? Also, the Strand had a hotel attached to it, too? All I remember hearing about is that the complex consisted of the office building on Washington and the theater out back fronting Grand.
  • edited July 2016
    Nope, I still am unsure of the building. Another negative I have shows the corner of Grand and Michigan and I can see the Hotel Strand sign [below the T in the watermark} in the negative. It is still a block north from this building.
    They are from a group photo's taken on Grand in June 1934....The building in question appears in most of the photo's, getting an identification will help to put each photo in the correct order.
    img0091.jpg
  • You can not see the building in this photo. It may be obvious but this photo is looking south down Grand Ave. from Michigan Ave. It was nice to see at one time we had a light-rail system. The large building in question [I guess] is around the corner half a block west on Allegan.
  • The building in question is in the picture above; directly below the letters in the watermark [MITH]. That is what I am trying to identify.
    Although, the light rail was gone by this time, replaced in 1933/34 by buses. The tracks still remained in this negative.
  • edited July 2016
    The building directly below the watermark is the back of the Strand Theatre. That is, unless you're talking about the small building directly behind the Hotel Strand sign, which I have no idea about as it's been gone for a very long time. That would be the southwest corner of Grand and Allegan, which has been a parking lot for decades.

And, hadn't ever heard of the Hotel Strand, but it appears to be what is currently the vacant "Walter Neller" building.

BTW, speaking of the Lansing streetcar system, the system was abandoned the previous year of this picture in 1933. At the time of its closing, the streetcar system was operated by Lansing Transportation Co., which was a subsidiary of Kalamazoo-based Michigan Electric Railway, which itself was a reorganization of the well-known Michigan United Railway and operated mostly interurbans (old-fashioned light rail between cities), but also some small city streetcar systems like Lansing's. It operated most of the systems outside of Southeast Michigan/Metro Detroit, which was the province of the Detroit Department of Street Railways (streetcars) and Detroit United Railway (interurbans).
  • Just to concur, the building in question is the rear of the Strand/Michigan Theater, no doubt about that.
  • The Strand/Michigan Theater.....that's what was throwing me off, Strand Theater and Hotel Strand being a block apart. Thank you. That will help me figure out the locations where other pictures were taken.
  • Purely out of curiosity, what are you trying to do?
  • Just retired, going through 1000's of images from historic Lansing. Have been invited to share some of them with the public at a gallery soon.
    As I look, I realize just how much we have torn down and lost.
  • I guess I am confused [easily done] I thought you were talking about the building that would become Davenport U. you can see that building from the skyline shot which must have been taken from a water tower across the river from perhaps from the Hill Street area which is of course on a hill.

If you look closely at the photo looking south from Michigan Ave. the Strand Hotel sign is connected to the building with all the awnings that is the hotel I believe. The corner of Allegan and Grand are behind the truck.

The tire store shot is looking North on Grand between Kalamazoo and Washtenaw, maybe only the Hack's key shop building and the building next to the Grand Tower date from that time in that block.