Lansing History

Comments

• I noticed the photo with the smoke stacks and view of downtown is no longer on your photo page. That is the one I think was taken from Hill street.
  • Sorry for the confusion, I had driven down Grand that morning and the only building that looked like it could be similar was the D/U building.
    The awnings in the Hill St. view showed me the Hotel Strand was a block north of the Strand theater that was identified, this added to MY confusion.
  • edited July 2016
    GB,

The photo that was taken from across the river was taken from the old BWL standpipe. The standpipe was actually a bit closer to the river. It was located where the current solar array is between Larch and Cedar behind where the Stadium District building is. It was the water tower before the BWL built its tanks on the site. Apparently, it was torn down in 1949.

arcadia-lansingstandpipe.jpg
  • edited July 2016
    @Rads Are you going through photos owned by someone who's picky about making them public? I know that myself and others would be interested in any photos that you're willing and/or able to share. I would personally love to see photos of the older industrial buildings that used to be along Larch, Cedar, Shiawassee, N Grand and in Old Town as those are the buildings I've seen very little of. The same could be said for the buildings removed for 496 and for the Capitol Complex.

I was looking at this aerial of the old GM plant 1, and noticed an old Oldsmobile Administration building south of the now abandoned one. I'd never noticed it before or seen any photos of it, has anyone else?
    Olds%20HQ.jpg
  • Just commenting to second hood's comments- I'd love to see these photos as well.
  • edited July 2016
    No, I own them...the exceptions would be the Leavenworth's that I have. I have donated 1000's to CADL already and have tried several times to interest LHS in what I retain.
    As I mentioned, 15 negatives from the 4 corners area are being prepared as a exhibit to be shown in August. (Give a quick thought what is behind the last photo I posted)
    The rest are in the process of sorting down to areas or interest. Here is one I have shared on the LHS page and basically had no interest from them.
    This photo shows the draw down of the north town dam in 1932-33 to replace and remove the mill race on the east side of the dam. The was extensive damage found at the base and wings....clearly visible in the photo.
    img012.jpg
  • Wow, cool to see what those stacks were used as originally!
  • edited July 2016
    LOVE this photo. Shows just how much the riverfront has changed (for the better). The riverfront between Old Town and downtown was my playground as a child and teen. Here's the same view, but one I took at night some years ago:

3139583291_8b167a302d_o.jpg
    North Lansing Dam & Brenke Fish Ladder 3 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

And, here it is when they did their last repair to the base of it in 2012:

6879310250_a1bd7e6f69_b.jpg
    Kobelco by NewCityOne, on Flickr

6879310244_b1c2ef6e7d_b.jpg
    Coffer Dam by NewCityOne, on Flickr
  • edited July 2016
    Well....back in the day....equipment and methods were just a little different.
    img052.jpg
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks for posting any old Lansing photos. I really love to just look at them and pick out details that are in my memory, and before. I don't know why but I have always found photos like these so interesting.
    I am always drawn to the big aerial photos on the second floor of the downtown library, but feel kind strange of when I turn around to see about twenty people watching me from behind their screens which all face the photos. So it is nice to be able to look at these in my home!

I did not see a date for the Oldsmobile plant photo but I would say it is from 1964 to 1966 as there are still houses on Olds Ave. on the upper right side. You can also see the "Jenison House" now the Scott Center in it's original location, next to a park at Townsend and Elm Street. All of which is a desolate sun bleached parking lots now. I like that you can pick out the graceful arches of the Logan Street Bridge. The present bridges are just kind of ugly. When I was still pretty young I would walk downtown via the Logan Street, Olds Ave, to Elm to Washington. I liked to walk by the modern administration building with it's modern sculptures and gardens. The old building was nice, kind of looked like a school to me, and was where they would train some of the new workers and had the nurses clinic. I don't think it lasted much longer after this photo was taken. At the corner of Olds Ave.and Logan was a show room and you could take a tour there, and I think if you were a employee you could order a new Olds there. Of course the whole area was to change very soon after this photo was taken, GM expansion and 496 took out any neighborhoods in their way standing around 68' 69'.