The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• So I drove by the site yesterday, and there are some small signs of progress - construction machines are on site and the temporary fencing is getting shuffled around!

• It looks like they were moving the fencing all the way out to the curb, I was driving so I think? they had pulled up the sidewalks on Abbot. Very cool to see something happening in this corner.

• Well its official, shovels are in the ground they are moving dirt as of yesterday!

• Yea Finally! How many years did that take?

• Well this thread was started in 2006 so at least that last long lol. I believe the first public talks about it were in the fall of 2005.
  • It is rather ironic how fast these other developments have been approved and are rising into the sky. I guess they learned a lesson on how to get these things done. I wish they would share this lesson with the folks developing the Red Cedar project.

• The only projects that seem to move quickly from the planning phase around here seem to be the ones that involve little or no municipal infrastructure work...

• In the case of Park District, the big hold-up was always the owner of the land. As soon as the city and new owner were able to finally wrench his hands for this property, things moved at a normal speed.

• Mich - I was also thinking of Red Cedar...

• edited January 2019

https://eastlansinginfo.org/content/corner-project-now-hold-plans-dont-match-approval

The Park District development is now on hold after the city inspectors noticed that the building plans submitted in early December don't match the plans that the City Council approved in August.

The developers removed the tall glass facades at the corners of Building A (Grand River and Abbot building) and replaced them with regular windows. This was one of the requirements from city council to make the building prettier than just a regular box.