The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

edited July 2019 in East Lansing
This is a forum to discuss and post updates on the Michigan Museum Place (a.k.a. City Center II) development.

Michigan Museum Place article

Comments

• Do you remember a long time ago when I was projecting that Scene Metrospace was going to move from their current location to the old Aroma Cafe location, next door to Georgios? Well, it is coming even closer to reality. Take a look at this news brief that will be in tomorrows State News:
    http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=38343

City Council to hear about gallery relocation

By KRIS TURNER

The State News

The building that houses (SCENE) Metrospace art gallery is slated for demolition to make way for a newer development.

Sharon Radtke, East Lansing's arts coordinator, said she is going before the East Lansing City Council to seek possible locations to house the gallery. Moving into the space once used by Aroma Gourmet Coffee & Tea, 110 Charles St., is one possibility, Radtke added.

"We want the program to continue; we just have to find another space before the first of the year," she said. "We are exploring some other places."

The City Council will meet at 7 p.m. today in City Hall, 410 Abbott Road.
  • I can't wait to see this project become a more solid proposal, with dates and official renderings released.
  • With the merging of Citizens Bank and the other bank (can't remember the name right now), this means that the Citizen's Bank located at the corner of Abbott and Grand River is going to close. It will be moved to the preexisting location in the shopping center at the corner of Hagadorn and Grand River. This will probably affect the project, as Citizens Bank was going to be an extensive tenant of the building. They occupied the current large building at the corner, and moved directly across the street until the Museum Place was finished, with plans to move into the new building. Now those offices may be located in Flint.
  • edited December 2006
    Do you have any links/sources showing that Citizens is moving to their building at Hagadorn and GR? I'd heard nothing of that.
  • Here is the link to the LSJ story. I usually think business mergers between Michigan companies is a good thing, but here it seems to have a negative effect on this project.
  • It appears that MSU, today, will announce the biggest single gift of money in its history, and guess what? It's going to be for the MSU Museum. It looks like this is closer to reality than ever, now. I wonder how far the state is on there portion of this project, though? I say just built it without 'em.
  • I think that is for the MSU art museum, aka Kresge Art Museum, which is currently planning a move to Grand River across from the Student Services building.

http://newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/3105/content.htm
  • Here is the news:

Michigan State University will be the home of a new world-class art museum focusing on modern and contemporary art thanks to a gift of $26 million from philanthropist and MSU alumnus Eli Broad and his wife, Edythe.

The museum, to be named the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum pending approval from the MSU Board of Trustees at their June 15 meeting, will be the new home of the university's art collection, currently housed on campus in the Kresge Art Museum. The Broad gift is the largest individual cash gift in the university's history.

Read more at http://special.newsroom.msu.edu/museumofart/index.php
  • edited June 2007
    Ooops! My bad.

It is so cool to see they are going national and international with the design competition, on this one. I have a very good feeling MSU is going to get a great project with this one.
  • I think it's going to be a great improvement. As usual, in the comments of the LSJ story, there are some uninformed people asking why the Broads would give money for a project like this instead of helping the students. Oh, how a little research helps you from looking so uninformed sometimes. :-)